The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   UDS vs. vertical smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153199)

oifmarine2003 02-05-2013 08:49 AM

UDS vs. vertical smoker

I have been really interested since seeing some of these homemade UDS or the PBC cookers on here about the benefits of a drum vs. a vertical smoker. What is better in an UDS vs. what comes out better in a vertical? I am seeking some knowledge from some salty Q'ers.

jrn 02-05-2013 09:17 AM

The drum is a vertical smoker. The fat and juices dripping on the coals vaporizes, providing a unique taste and a very moist cooking environment.

oifmarine2003 02-05-2013 09:20 AM

Ok. That makes sense. Thank you.

BBQchef33 02-05-2013 09:24 AM

What type of vertical?

Vertical offset like a bandera

Cabinet like spicewine or stumps?

Bullets? Like wsm?

All are verticle. The drums just allow grease to hit the coals and also offer a more radiant heat effect than the others. Both of which change the flavor.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

dmprantz 02-05-2013 09:28 AM

I would say that you've got three main classes of vertical cookers: Cabinet offsets, Cabinet directs, and vertical directs. Vertical directs includes UDS, PBC, WSM, BGE, and all sorts of things in between. There are exceptions, such as removing the water pan in a cabinet direct smoker, and some vertical directs also have baffle/barrier options. In general, I don't think that one is "better" than the others at any thing, but what I call vertical directs tend to have more limmited space, limmitted means of accessing "lower" racks, and limmited abillity to add more fuel. On the flip side, they are often very affordable fuel consious, and set/forget.

dmp

oifmarine2003 02-05-2013 09:36 AM

Thanks guys! I have been checking out the UDS and PBC drum smokers the last couple of days. I think I may have to get one!

oifmarine2003 02-05-2013 09:39 AM

So, if I have a cabinet smoker and I took out the water pan and put in something for charcoal, would that get the same effect?

dmprantz 02-05-2013 09:47 AM

I don't know if I'd say "the same effect" but it would be similar. There are those who claim that a Cajun Bandit, a WSM, and a UDS all without heat deflectors produce Q with distinctive flavours.

dmp

BBQchef33 02-05-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oifmarine2003 (Post 2355599)
So, if I have a cabinet smoker and I took out the water pan and put in something for charcoal, would that get the same effect?

I think that would be similar to a uds/pbc. Same if u remove waterpan from wsm

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Carbon 02-05-2013 10:52 AM

Build yourself a UDS and you'll be thrilled with it.

J-Rod 02-05-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbon (Post 2355655)
Build yourself a UDS and you'll be thrilled with it.

+1!!!! They rock the Q!