The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   *Need some help* Northport Long Island VA hospital BBQ Cookout August 25 (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139848)

BBQchef33 07-26-2012 01:08 AM

*Need some help* Northport Long Island VA hospital BBQ Cookout August 25

Folks,

We have set up a BBQ lunch for the soldiers at the Northport VA hospital on August 25.
(If it sounds familiar to you, this is the cookout i spoke to alot of the teams at Williepalooza about.)

We will be serving approximately 300 vets from Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom that live or extended stay at the hospital. They will have volunteers to serve, and the food is being purchased by Suffolk PD and supplied by the commisary at the hospital. All we have to do is show up and cook..

Chicken ribs, brisket, pork.. sides, corn on the cob, watermelon, etc.. we serve from 11am to 3PM. By our standards, its not alot of food, but we do have to cook onsite. The big meats we can handle overnight with a few fast eddies... which should be covered with mine and blazing butts(sacco and bob S), but we are also doing 50 whole chickens and 60 racks of ribs, which will need some big pits and some attention.

Figure Friday night into Saturday. I will get the rubs and sauces.

so, with those details Whos in? We're gonna need some help.

NS Mike D 07-26-2012 07:29 AM

Not traditional BBQ, but if you can use a la caja china #2 or a 6 ft charcoal grill, you got it. 3 WSMs come with me to help out with the ribs

Boshizzle 07-26-2012 07:46 AM

Checked my calendar and I can't make it due to another commitment.

BBQ Bandit 07-26-2012 09:38 AM

That's the same weekend as the New Holland, PA comp.

Cue's Your Daddy 07-26-2012 11:29 AM

I'm in.

BBQchef33 07-26-2012 06:21 PM

Yeah lots of folkas going to new holland. So far theres me paul sacco grim reapera and porkmasters.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

timzcardz 07-27-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 2151860)
Yeah lots of folkas going to new holland. So far theres me paul sacco grim reapera and porkmasters.

We didn't kow that Sacco was in! :shocked:

May have to rethink this. :mrgreen:

MikeR 07-27-2012 07:19 AM

It is an honor to help out with this!:thumb:

hb2301 07-27-2012 09:36 AM

I sure wish I could help you. I work at Harry S Truman Memorial Veterans Hospital in Columbia, MO and I know how much those guys are going to appreciate this. Let us know how it goes. Maybe I can get the guys from Spicewine and some others to help do the same thing here!

Cue's Your Daddy 07-27-2012 09:57 AM

This should be a blast. Usually when you cook for something like this its for a fundraiser and you are cooking for joe publick. This is for the soldiers themselves. And sacco was a marine, even tho he is pretty weak. HI FRANK.

The_Kapn 07-27-2012 10:00 AM

Wish I could be there to help, but.....

As a Veteran's advocate who is very familiar with VA hospitals, I applaud and
thank you for your efforts.

If I can send financial support, just holler.

TIM

BBQchef33 07-27-2012 10:06 AM

Thanks kapn. The pd is covering the bulk of the costs. We are supplyind sauces, rubs, fuel and labor so we're good.

I think willieb is coming down with the lang too. We need one more big cooker. Im going to try gettin the souble barrel lang from RUB.

Westexbbq 07-27-2012 10:07 AM

Must be 2 of these rolling around, I said "I'm in" on the other one last night. hmmm.
Should be a good event.

timzcardz 07-27-2012 10:32 AM

Phil,

Ribs, are those baby backs or spares?

I ask because we can probably come up with 5 WSMs and I can do 10-12 racks of baby backs per WSM.

Cue's Your Daddy 07-27-2012 11:26 AM

I can bring the spicewine or I have the big oil drum smoker.