The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help me pick out my barbeque equipment (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155191)

Pastaboy 03-02-2013 10:40 PM

Help me pick out my barbeque equipment

Newbie needs some advice, this is what I have so far:
55gal uds already seasoned
Akorn kamado on the way from Meijer

This is what i need help with:
Dual probe thermo
Smoking wood, where to get it and what kinds
Covers for uds and akorn (I'm in Chicago area)
Charcoal or lump
Rubs
What's a good first attempt on uds? Fatty,chicken,wings?

I plan on using the akorn for pizza and all my high heat grilling, it looks like the weather here in Chicago will be warming up in the next few weeks so I am trying to get my stuff together for my first cook ever. Let me also add that this site is outstanding. Thanks in advance

flyingbassman5 03-03-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastaboy (Post 2391182)

This is what i need help with:

Dual probe thermo - Amazon.

Smoking wood, where to get it- Smokilicious or Fruita wood, both internet sites. Most Hardware stores like Lowes or Home depot carry a few types of chunks and chips.

and what kinds?- Hickory, Apple, Cherry, Maple, Oak, Mesquite. For a good starting wood, try Apple or Maple. Both go well with most cuts and you won't have to worry too much about over smoking like you would with Hickory. That said though, I tried Apple my first go around and soon switched to hickory and maple. The hickory gives a strong smoke flavor and I use the maple for when I want to get a really deep smoke ring over a long cook. Since it is a much milder wood than hickory, I can use more of it longer without worrying too much about oversmoking.

Covers for uds and akorn (I'm in Chicago area)- Again, Amazon or the big box stores. A cover for a UDS will have to be a trial and error kind of thing. Buy a cover, take it home, see if it fits. If no, take it back. If yes, keep it.

Charcoal or lump- Kingsford Blue Bag is always a good start for briquettes. I like Stubb's briquettes better but that is just me. Royal Oak lump is okay for starters in the lump arena. I really only like it for grilling, but again, that's me. If you try anything better than RO though, like Wicked Good or the BGE lump, you will never go back to RO without hating it. Some guys use one brand all the time regardless of availability or price. I'm in that crowd with Stubb's. Its all I use in all of my cookers. Other guys, buy whatever is cheapest or on sale. Try a few different brands and see what you like. Try lump vs briquettes and see what you like. Its all personal preference.

Rubs- Try making your own or steal a recipe from online (or here). Or be lazy like me and go store bought. Again, most of this is total personal preference.

What's a good first attempt on uds? Fatty,chicken,wings?- ALL OF THE ABOVE*!!! :biggrin1::laugh::loco::clap2:

*(Though to really break in the UDS, go with something that has a high fat content like a pork butt or fatty. The grease drippings will help to serve as a natural seasoning to the inside of the drum, especially over a long cook like for a butt. Be sure to post some pr0n as well! :thumb:)

That help?! :biggrin1:

Forrestbro 03-03-2013 01:47 AM

My two cents:
1.- Maverick et732 from amazon
2.- (a) Chicago Firewood at 1300 N. Halsted, (b) A1 Country Firewood/Goodwood at Canalport & Cermak, (c) Firewood Chicago at 3456 N. Clark
3.- Lowes, Menards, HD
4.- Lazarri's or Nature-Glo Lump (from Berger Bros at 1176 N. Cherry) or Stubbs (from Lowe's) or Best of the West (from Sam's Club)
5.- Famous Dave's Rib Rub, salt & pepper or I make my own.
6.- Since your drum is already seasoned, I vote for ribs.
I hope this is helpful and I'm sure more Brethren will chime in.

AJP 03-03-2013 02:34 AM

1. Dual probe thermo

As stated get the MAvrick et732 from Amazon

2. Smoking wood, where to get it and what kinds

That is going to depend where you are but if you have a do it best in the area order site to store for great prices. 10lb for $9 http://www.doitbest.com/search-smoker+wood.dib

3. Covers for uds and akorn (I'm in Chicago area)

For the UDS just get a Weber Kettle Cover, I thought the Akorn came with one. If not Amazon should have both.

4. Charcoal or lump

Lump

5. Rubs

Start with something simple, get some plowboys yardbird and bovine bold. I also like big ron's rubs

6. What's a good first attempt on uds? Fatty,chicken,wings?

I say start with the easiest cut around, the pork but, cook it till the bone pulls out clean and easy. Rub it before smoking and have a good time.

TurkeyLeg 03-03-2013 06:22 AM

When I first started BBQ/Smoking I got this book. Lots of information ,and recipes for rubs, sauces,slathers etc.

HankB 03-03-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastaboy (Post 2391182)
Dual probe thermo http://www.chargriller.com/index.php...chk=1&Itemid=2 (same as ET-732 - find recent thread in this)
Smoking wood, where to get it and what kinds Look around. I get maple, black walnut, oak, cherry, apple, mulberry, hickory in my neighborhood. Buy mesquite chunks at Menards or Home Depot.
Covers for uds and akorn (I'm in Chicago area) Amazon?
Charcoal or lump either
Rubs What I do: Look for recipes, make my own, add flavors I like such as Ancho powder or a little cumin.
What's a good first attempt on uds? Fatty,chicken,wings? speaking from WSM experience, anything you like :biggrin1:

I plan on using the akorn for pizza and all my high heat grilling, it looks like the weather here in Chicago will be warming up in the next few weeks so I am trying to get my stuff together for my first cook ever. Let me also add that this site is outstanding. Thanks in advance

:blah: :blah: board won't let me post of all of my stuff is within the quote. :tsk:

Rub'n Wood BBQ 03-03-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurkeyLeg (Post 2391303)
When I first started BBQ/Smoking I got this book. Lots of information ,and recipes for rubs, sauces,slathers etc.

Amazon.com: Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue: Barbecue Your Way to Greatness with 575 Lip-Smackin' Recipes from the Baron of Barbecue (9781558322424): Paul Kirk: Books

+1 - first book purchased 7 years ago and it still goes with me to every comp. Great outline of everything that is needed to know.

I have been breaking in a UDS and been rolling Kingsford Blue with Pecan chunks (or Cherry) and focusing on the long cook items like brisket and butt. Not only to season, but to get a good handle on how it holds heat and how much fuel is needed.

Good luck.

Bludawg 03-03-2013 09:19 AM

Dual probe thermo> I don't use a thermo waste of money
Wood> I get mine free except for labor & saw gas you city folk might try an online wood merchant( Googles your friend)
Covers fro UDS and a Acorn,> Homo Depot contractor grade trash can liners are 5.00 a box and fit like a glove.
Charcoal > Homo Depot
Rubs> make your own lots of recipes floatin around it is hard to beat just Kosher salt & med grind Black pepper.
First smoke on the UDS> Pork Butt

PrinceofQ 03-03-2013 09:49 AM

Dual probe thermometer: Maverick ET-732 or the iGrill

Smoking wood: I've heard Fruita Wood Chunks is a great company to buy wood from. Here's a link to their site: http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/

I like using Apple and also Cherry.

Covers for the Akorn: I got the cover made for the Akorn at my local Lowe's store.

Charcoal or lump: I use Royal Oak All-Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal from Walmart in my Akorn.

Rubs: Some of the rubs I really like are: Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction Rub, Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub, Kosmo's Q Killer Bee Rub, Butcher BBQ Honey Rub, Bigmista's Perfect Pork Rub, Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub, Plowboys Bovine Bold Rub and Plowboys Yardbird Rub.

sdbbq1234 03-03-2013 11:04 AM

Cover for UDS: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ighlight=Cover

wallace

JD McGee 03-03-2013 11:24 AM

Dual probe thermo...I recommend a Therma-Pen and learn to cook your meats to color and feel..not to time and temp.

Smoking wood, where to get it and what kinds...Local orchards and online retailers such as Fruita Wood Chunks...try a few different flavors to see what you like.

Covers for uds and akorn (I'm in Chicago area)...Dunno...Home Depot...Lowes

Charcoal or lump...Kingsford is popular and inexpensive...stock up on Memorial and Labor Day weekend sales.

Rubs...Simply Marvelous, Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q.

What's a good first attempt on uds? Fatty,chicken,wings?...Pork Butt...gives you plenty of time to dial in your pit.

Have fun! :-P

Motley Q 03-03-2013 11:52 AM

Read all the bad reviews about the Mav 732

Don't buy it.

The chargriller "custom fitted cover" for the akorn doesn't fit over the top vent. You would think that a mfg would think a little before manufacturing a product.