First Comp this weekend

Smokin' Joe

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Doing our first comp this weekend. Just a small (12 teams) backyard KCBS style comp to get our feet wet:-D Thanks to everyone here I feel like I'm ready to go! Thanks to all for posting questions and thoughts, this place is great...I will try to remember to get some pics and will post turn-in's and scores along with my thoughts on Sunday:eek:

Good luck at your first comp.
Dont get nervous just do what you do very well and run with it.
Please let us know how things went.

My wife and I did our first comp a few weeks ago to get our feet wet. I wasn't nervous until D-DAY. Just relax, enjoy and do what you do best. You'll do great... and don't forget.....just have fun!

Doing our first comp this weekend. Just a small (12 teams) backyard KCBS style comp to get our feet wet:-D Thanks to everyone here I feel like I'm ready to go! Thanks to all for posting questions and thoughts, this place is great...I will try to remember to get some pics and will post turn-in's and scores along with my thoughts on Sunday:eek:

Go For it Brother

I see your from IA. Whereabouts and where is the contest?
ModelMaker

good luck!!!! we just got our trailer back with the new smoker welded to it.:-D we are seasoning it and getting ready to enter some bigger events

Um, I don't seem to have any missed calls or voicemails, could it be that I didn't get a call to help, or at least taste test? Just messin with ya, hope everything went well, but let me know if you do any more comps and need an extra set of hands sometime.

Good luck. 1st comp is an eye opener. I hope you took pencil and paper to write down the stuff you want to have for the comps and don't have. I did that for my first few comps and got and idea of what we needed.

Don't forget to let us know how you did. Good luck again.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

Wow what a weekend :-D The weather was nice, we learned a lot, and turned out some pretty good food.

We cooked the brisket, pork, and ribs on the party and the chicken on the ol' chargriller. We learned a good leason early...after the cooks meeting I started making our boxes and on the 3rd one noticed it was cracked badly in the corner, upon further inspection all of the boxes were cracked including the completed ones:cry: So we had to get new boxes and start all over with the putting greens, in the end no big deal but it sure sucked at the time. The night went fast and the Brisket and Butts were done and in the cooler about 10 AM. Chicken turn in was a little tense but by Brisket we had had it figured out, we got everything in on time and looking pretty decent. I knew the chicken was good, it was some of the best I have made. Same with the brisket, it was by far the best brisket I have ever made. We turned in slices and burnt ends. I thought the Pork turned out OK, I've never coolered pork that long before...perhaps it was too long? The ribs were not good, I knew we were in trouble when I opened the package Friday night. They had shiners and were very skinny in spots. Did the best we could to find ribs to turn in but they were a little over cooked and I messed up the sauce when I cut them. One of the downsides of doing a comp on a small smoker seems to be not being able to cook lots of food for more choices...another leason learned, time to get that Fatboy ordered :p.

Here's the chicken box...cleaned up the edges of parsely a bit after the picture was taken, the sauce was not as unven as it appears in the picture but was not perfect.
195.jpg

Ribs
197.jpg

The pork...looks a little hap-hazard now that I look at it again??
198.jpg

And the brisket box
206.jpg

It was a long wait to the results but well worth it:-D
3rd in Ribs
2nd in Pork
1st in Chicken (that Plowboys rub is good stuff:wink:)
1st in Brisket
Overall Grand Champ:shock:

Overall we had a great time, made some mistakes, learned a lot, and got hooked on competition BBQ :mrgreen: Thanks for to all for sharing here!!

Joe

Great looking boxes. Well deserved GC. Congratulations

Looks like you have done a lot of reading comp threads on here and have paid attention

Grand Champ you're first time out!!! Excellent job. I'm hopeful that on my first I'm not dead last. You sure gotta be proud of that showing. :-D

Back