The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Non-sanctioned competition? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169241)

GT-Q 08-22-2013 07:29 PM

Non-sanctioned competition?

This year we have been competing in the backyard division at several KCBS comps. We want to move up to pro but aren't quite ready yet and want to finish out at least this year in backyard. Because of time and budget limitations we really can't travel long distances for competitions. The problem we have is that between now and the end of November there are no sanctioned competitions that we can reasonably do. They are all either too far away or don't have a backyard division. There are a couple of nearby local competitions that we could compete in. They have similar rules and structure to the KCBS comps we are used to but aren't sanctioned and have non-trained judges. What are your experiences and advice about competing in non-sanctioned competitions? Is it worth doing or are we wasting our time and money?

Ron_L 08-22-2013 07:35 PM

Backyard competitions aren't sanctioned by KCBS anyway, so there probably isn't much difference. Around here the organizers try to get CBJs, but if they can't they fill the seats with anyone with a pulse :-D

GT-Q 08-22-2013 07:37 PM

It's the same here, but we try to be selective and go to comps that have CBJs doing the backyard judging.

bbq.tom 08-22-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2598503)
Backyard competitions aren't sanctioned by KCBS anyway, so there probably isn't much difference. Around here the organizers try to get CBJs, but if they can't they fill the seats with anyone with a pulse :-D

I must disagree. Backyard comps at KCBS events ARE sanctioned by KCBS, it's just that they don't count toward Pro TOY standings.
They usually use the same judges as for Pro judging. Ive done double duty (judged both Pro and Backyard) several times, as well as not knowing until after the judges meeting as to which tables would be judging Backyard. Ive never seen "non-CBJs" judging backyard.

bbq.tom 08-22-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT-Q (Post 2598494)
They have similar rules and structure to the KCBS comps we are used to but aren't sanctioned and have non-trained judges. What are your experiences and advice about competing in non-sanctioned competitions? Is it worth doing or are we wasting our time and money?

If they are non-CBJs, then I would suggest over cooking the ribs so that they are falling off the bone tender.

GT-Q 08-22-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbq.tom (Post 2598675)
They usually use the same judges as for Pro judging. Ive done double duty (judged both Pro and Backyard) several times, as well as not knowing until after the judges meeting as to which tables would be judging Backyard. Ive never seen "non-CBJs" judging backyard.

That's normally the case here but not always. The very first comp we did was KCBS for the pros, but had non-CBJs for the backyard. They got a lot of complaints from the backyard guys and changed for this year. The judging was much more meaningful.

Ron_L 08-22-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbq.tom (Post 2598675)
I must disagree. Backyard comps at KCBS events ARE sanctioned by KCBS, it's just that they don't count toward Pro TOY standings.

Maybe it's different in your area. As far as I know, KCBS doesn't sanction backyard comps. Around here there are some that are held at the same venue as a KCBS comp, but they are run as a separate comp and use different judges. Many times the organizer comes around to the "pro" teams looking for volunteers to judge the backyard category.

Lake Dogs 08-23-2013 06:52 AM

GT-Q, it's kind of up to you. Some of the unsanctioned competitions in the state (your state and mine) use mostly CBJ's from one sanctioning body or another. Others simply have no desire to venture into that world, so they're all not only untrained, but there is no judging standard defined. The "what constitutes perfect tenderness" is then left up to the judge, and worse, you may get judges with widely varying opinions as to what they prefer. Some may really want mushy pork, others prefer leather (seriously).

I swore off unsanctioned competitions a long time ago. That's me; your experience may be vastly different.

kenthanson 08-23-2013 09:10 AM

Why not go pro?

That's a serious question, go do a local pro comp and have a blast.

GT-Q 08-24-2013 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenthanson (Post 2598984)
Why not go pro?

That's a serious question, go do a local pro comp and have a blast.

I think we've just about talked ourselves into it in the last 24 hrs. Thanks for the encouragement!