The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vaccum Sealer Question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163236)

scayne62 06-13-2013 10:20 AM

Vaccum Sealer Question

I am looking to buy a vacuum sealer, I have read and read and read about them but have managed to just confuse myself even more, I do not understand the specs, what does the amount of vacuum inches have to do with them? which is the best bang for my buck? I am wanting to spend no more than $250-$300 on one, hell cheaper if I can. I want to be able to vacuum seal everything from sandwiches for when we hike to left over pulled pork, briskets, and ribs (if there are any) plus buy more in bulk and portion it out and vacuum seal it to freeze, including bread if I can. anyways what do you guys suggest, cabella has a nice sale going on right now on their sealers so I want to buy quick if something from there is suggested. Price of bags comes into question to as I have some expensive ones and some cheap ones. I will not be sealing hundreds of pounds of stuff all at once so if cool down for a few seconds or even a minute has to happen than so be it. TIA

CharredApron 06-13-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scayne62 (Post 2514368)
I am looking to buy a vacuum sealer, I have read and read and read about them but have managed to just confuse myself even more, I do not understand the specs, what does the amount of vacuum inches have to do with them? which is the best bang for my buck? I am wanting to spend no more than $250-$300 on one, hell cheaper if I can. I want to be able to vacuum seal everything from sandwiches for when we hike to left over pulled pork, briskets, and ribs (if there are any) plus buy more in bulk and portion it out and vacuum seal it to freeze, including bread if I can. anyways what do you guys suggest, cabella has a nice sale going on right now on their sealers so I want to buy quick if something from there is suggested. Price of bags comes into question to as I have some expensive ones and some cheap ones. I will not be sealing hundreds of pounds of stuff all at once so if cool down for a few seconds or even a minute has to happen than so be it. TIA

My wife bought the Foodsaver V3880 model at Costco. Last week I bought the Gamesaver marinate box. The machine works awesome. It has a gentle cycle for breads and moist cycle for wet foods like rare meats. I highly recommend this unit. I don't have the exact price, but it surely wasn't $300.00 or "She Who Must Be Obeyed", wouldn't have bought it!

Happy sealing!
Jed

StunnedMonkey 06-13-2013 11:21 AM

For light-duty I don't think you need to spend anything close to $300. I bought a Foodsaver V3240 ($120 at Amazon) this spring and so far it works great. I use it primarily for leftover meat (both cooked and raw) and bulk hops (for homebrewing). Has wet and dry settings. I've done three back to back to back jobs sealing meat into 1.5 pound portions and it didn't complain. It wouldn't handle dozens of consecutive runs I'm sure, but it doesn't sound like that's your thing. Just a decent light-duty sealer.

A vacuum sealer is a nice tool to have. I have no regrets buying one.

Swine Spectator 06-13-2013 11:43 AM

The Foodsavers work better than the Seal-a-Meals. I recently went to the Cabelas Pro Series after wearing out my second Foodsaver in 5 years:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...ler/753401.uts

It seems to be a very well-built unit, but I am a heavy user. I like that it is servicable. I buy the bags in bulk on e-Bay to save $$$.

scayne62 06-13-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swine Spectator (Post 2514436)
The Foodsavers work better than the Seal-a-Meals. I recently went to the Cabelas Pro Series after wearing out my second Foodsaver in 5 years:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...ler/753401.uts

It seems to be a very well-built unit, but I am a heavy user. I like that it is servicable. I buy the bags in bulk on e-Bay to save $$$.

That is one of the ones I have been looking at, I do not want to buy a cheap one that will not last but I also do not want to break the bank if I do not have to when I am going to be a light user overall, it will get used most after A SAMS trip.

yakdung 06-13-2013 01:03 PM

I own a Weston Pro 2300 and have had it for about 5 years without issue. This is the same vacuum sealer that is rebranded for Cabelas. It is a dual pump machine, which gives you more negative pressure. At this price point, the Weston sealer met all of my requirement. The less expensive units sold at Walmart, are single pump. Others will argue rightly so, that a vacuum chamber vacuum sealer is better. They are correct, but they are also $1000.00 plus. If you do not run a commercial business to repackage goods, I would go with a Weston. Another thing to consider is if you are going to try and vacuum seal mylar bags. The weston will do it, but it is a little tricky. Vacuum chamber models, no problem. Search Youtube there are several tests of the unit.
http://www.westonsupply.com/Weston-V...%20sealers.htm
Good luck,

caseydog 06-13-2013 01:06 PM

Foodsaver.com almost always has a handful of models on sale for good prices.

http://www.foodsaver.com/category.aspx?cid=87

CD

hcj3rd 06-13-2013 01:12 PM

+1 on Weston Pro 2300. Works flawlessly and you can get replacement parts for it.

FromthePitBBQ 06-13-2013 01:12 PM

2nd for Weston!!! You get what you pay for. I did tons of research and in the end, the Weston Pro 2300 was basically commercial grade for the homeowner. Parts are replaceable and if needed the unit can be serviced.

I ordered mine off Amazon, it was $50 cheaper than Cabelas, plus no sales tax and free 2 day shipping.

I would also recommend getting the roll of bagging, and maybe just one box of premade bags. The roll ends up being cheaper and you can make smaller bags from it with a pair of scissors.

A handy idea when sealing...partially freeze all meats to get the juice to solidify and put liquids in the bags then fully freeze before sealing. That way you won't get any liquid in the vacuum chamber.

Enjoy!

Dirtbuddy 06-13-2013 01:15 PM

When my current FoodSaver bites the big one I'm going Weston without question.

Gnaws on Pigs 06-13-2013 02:47 PM

I have a $100 Kenmore that has been used to death for the last 8 or 10 years and is still working. We have a big freezer. I kill and process a bunch of deer, wild hogs, other game, fish, stuff out of the garden, on sale meat, pulled pork and such every year. It gets used several times a week. So far, it's done pretty much what I needed it to. I sure wouldn't be without one now after getting used to having one.

Wampus 06-13-2013 02:55 PM

This is a good one. A "home" version of what I have.
If you're gonna use it on the countertop, this is a great deal. It's heavier than the other countertop units.

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=9883

Here's the one I have. I got the case for it. Good model. I do a lot of vac sealing.

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=13255

Bludawg 06-13-2013 03:13 PM

You get what you pay for I went through 4 of the cheaper ones the one I have now is a Food saver and it was around 200 IIRC it is 3 yrs old and works well. If and when it ever quits I'll spring fro the industrial ones that are about 400 that have variable vacuum.

TroyA65 06-13-2013 04:00 PM

Foodsaver!Foodsaver!Foodsaver!Foodsaver!Foodsaver! Foodsaver!Foodsaver!Foodsaver!

I've had one for years, sucked ans sealed literally tons of Salmon, Beef, Pork, etc, etc....I Expect several more years of service!

scayne62 06-18-2013 09:29 AM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and insight, I went with the foodsaver Gamesaver Deluxe, it is in my price range and will do all I need it to with no more than I will use it at any given time.

sincitydisciple01 06-18-2013 12:07 PM

As mentioned above, if you are going with a Foodsaver, never pay full price. Sign up for emails from Foodsaver and you will see just how often they put them on sale (or at least bundle the sealer w/ assorted bags and containers).

Also, if you are sealing food w/ the intent to freeze, whenever possible, freeze the contents in the bag first and then seal it. The vacuum process, even on the gentle setting can pull the juice/liquid out of whatever you are sealing.

Mrfish 06-18-2013 12:28 PM

After my second food saver bit the dust two months ago, I went the Weston Route. Huge difference. I can officially say I suck now.

They also had some refurbished models marked down on their website at the time.

scayne62 06-18-2013 03:01 PM

I got a $25 discount and bundled some extra bags in with the free shipping. I thought that was fair.

newpower 06-18-2013 03:17 PM

I have been using the foodsaver system for years. The first one I got at kohls for under $100. Believe it or not I found 1 at salvation army for $3.00 and another at a flea market for $5.00. Both work great and I too use them after the Sams Club trips. Don't be afraid of the cheapys.

IamMadMan 06-18-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakdung (Post 2514504)
I own a Weston Pro 2300 and have had it for about 5 years without issue. This is the same vacuum sealer that is rebranded for Cabelas. It is a dual pump machine, which gives you more negative pressure. At this price point, the Weston sealer met all of my requirement. The less expensive units sold at Walmart, are single pump.
http://www.westonsupply.com/Weston-V...%20sealers.htm
Good luck,

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcj3rd (Post 2514516)
+1 on Weston Pro 2300. Works flawlessly and you can get replacement parts for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromthePitBBQ (Post 2514517)
2nd for Weston!!! You get what you pay for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrfish (Post 2520394)
After my second food saver bit the dust two months ago, I went the Weston Route.

I agree, the Weston cannot be compared to the single pump foodsavers.

NRA4Life 06-18-2013 07:20 PM

I've got the Weston Pro2300. Don't waste your money on a throw-away sealer...spend the money once and get the Weston.

firefighter4634 06-18-2013 08:10 PM

I have a Foodsaver V1090. I have had it for about five years, while it does not get a lot of hard use it does get used and it has worked well for me. The only time I have an issue is with meat that has a lot of juice if I do not put it in the freezer before sealing it some moisture gets on the area of the bag that the seal is and it has leaks there.

martyleach 06-18-2013 08:15 PM

If you have a Costco nearby I would highly recommend buying a Foodsaver anything from them. Foodsavers are not a high end product but do work very well. Mine died after about 6 months. I took it back (with the receipt) and they replaced it, no questions asked. That happened again 8 months later. No problem. It may be cheaper on Amazon but a no hassle return policy is pretty darn nice.

BugCollector 06-18-2013 08:54 PM

I have a Weston 2300. I'm on my second one. The first lasted 2 years. I process a lot of meat. I raise all my own chickens and freeze them whole (well after they are plucked and eviscerated). I process hogs and goats as well. We were a little disappointed when the first unit snuffed it. We had purchased it from Cabela's and they didn't want anything to do with it since it was out of warranty. Well, we had 30 chickens ready for processing so we just sucked it up and bought another one. It's lasted 2 years so far and we have the old one for spare parts. No problems yet.

Dirtbuddy 06-25-2013 10:22 PM

Just bought the Cabela's Pro Series vacuum sealer, done with my f'ing FoodSaver Game Saver Deluxe. Just processing 10lbs of bacon and nothing but grief.

IamMadMan 06-25-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtbuddy (Post 2529350)
Just bought the Cabela's Pro Series vacuum sealer, done with my f'ing FoodSaver Game Saver Deluxe. Just processing 10lbs of bacon and nothing but grief.

Glad to see you are moving up.... Congratulations.

ChuckieD 06-26-2013 12:52 AM

I have a 1968 Foodsaver that I bought at a Home Show for around $300.00 buck's, still work'in and bought the 3420 model for the kid's for Xmas,, so nice bought one for me.. and love it.. can't go wrong..