• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bone in or out for chicken?

West River BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have two questions. First, is there a search engine for the forum page? I'm afraid of posting something that may have been discussed many many times in the past.

Second, beyond the added flavor of having a bone in the chicken thigh, which might be nominal, is there any benefit? I'm looking at Myron Mixon's cupcake recipe and removing the bone might be easier than cutting the knuckles off of thigh bones. Any thoughts?

Welcome, Bill. There is a Google search at the bottom of forum page. No worries about asking something that has been discussed before.

Have only cooked boneless thighs a few times and never cupcake method. IMO, they cook faster without the bone. That said, I very much prefer bone in breasts vs boneless. They may take longer to cook, but cook juicier. Same with thighs. But, when using a griddle, boneless makes more sense.

I'm sure you will get more insight on this. Welocme!

Bob

Glad you’re here, West River. Jump right in and don’t worry about asking questions. You’ll get valuable results on the google search at the bottom, but no harm to put one out there. However, I’ll mention that the KCquer’s roadmap has a lot of great info right there that has some really great threads on a lot of common issues. You can learn a lot in that arena.

I like bone-in unless kabobs or something similar. Not sure about the cupcake prep.

I like both really. For a longtime I was buying boneless thighs because they were cheap and could be chopped for other dishes. They must have got popular because the price has went up.

I used to be a bone in skin on chicken guy now I only cook thighs and breast boneless skinless in a pan usually a hotel pan. IMO taste better has good smoke flavor, very moist and perfectly cooked. I save my bone in skin on cooks for wings, legs and turkeys.

Second, beyond the added flavor of having a bone in the chicken thigh, which might be nominal, is there any benefit? I'm looking at Myron Mixon's cupcake recipe and removing the bone might be easier than cutting the knuckles off of thigh bones. Any thoughts?

I've cooked Myron's Cupcake Chicken several times now. I think you need the bone to give it a little bit of form when you put it into the cups. Cutting the knuckles off is easy..............scraping the fat off the skin and draping nicely is the tedious prep and requires patience.

His recipe works well - looks great and tastes delicious.....just pay attention to detail and be patient doing it.

LapqbIbh.jpg

I've cooked Myron's Cupcake Chicken several times now. I think you need the bone to give it a little bit of form when you put it into the cups. Cutting the knuckles off is easy..............scraping the fat off the skin and draping nicely is the tedious prep and requires patience.

His recipe works well - looks great and tastes delicious.....just pay attention to detail and be patient doing it.

LapqbIbh.jpg

I recently tried myron's muffin chicken too. What size tin do you use? I really had to stuff them in there and trimmed more than I would like for a home cook. Here's what I used. There were some larger pans at the store, disposable aluminum.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261790

Smoke,

I bought silicone pans with the largest cups I could find and cut a hole in the bottom of the cups. They're flexible and the thighs fit comfortably.

zslDxBEh.jpg

And yes.......your cook looks great! :thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks all. I like to work through a recipe before starting the cook. I've had some trouble cutting bones in thighs even with pretty good shears but noticed that it wouldn't take much to just de-bone them. Maybe more practice with trimming. I've scraped some skin on two cooks and yes it was tedious.

This is a great hobby, especially when the food turns out well.

Thanks all. I like to work through a recipe before starting the cook. I've had some trouble cutting bones in thighs even with pretty good shears but noticed that it wouldn't take much to just de-bone them. Maybe more practice with trimming. I've scraped some skin on two cooks and yes it was tedious.

This is a great hobby, especially when the food turns out well.

Poultry shears will cut the knuckles off like butter. Don't de-bone them for Myron's recipe.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...MIq6K9vIP42wIVlyOBCh3jtAbzEAQYASABEgKIxvD_BwE

As far as I'm concerned, "6 of one, half-dozen of the other". Both ways are good, so do what's convenient or what you feel like trying out.

I've wondered if they de-bone thighs for comps??
Yeah and poultry shears work effortlessly as said.

Back