Chicken Thigh Experiment and Sauce Review: Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet Chili Wing Sauce

captjoe06

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I set up the @WeberGrills kettle with the two charcoal baskets placed directly in the center of the bowl and loaded it up with 2/3 a chimney of red hot charcoal.

For the preparation of the chicken thighs I patted them down with a paper towel to remove any moisture or water (this helps to crisp the skin) . Then lightly brushed them with evoo.

After coating with the evoo six of the thighs got Paul Prudhomme dry rub and four got a sprinkling of coarse salt.

The exercise was to figure out how to get the best juicy inside/crispy skin chicken.

The chicken was arranged in the outside perimeter of the bowl indirect of the charcoal baskets which were placed in the middle. One chunk of mesquite wood was placed in the center over the coals for smoke. Top and bottom vents left wide open throughout the cook.

26684348603_04109451dc_c.jpg

I used the Maverick 732 to monitor internal temps and once they hit 165 degrees I mopped 4 of the Prudhomme rubbed thighs and 4 of the salt rubbed with Sweet Baby Rays Sweet Chili Wing Sauce and Glaze. Two of the Prudhomme rubbed thighs were left unmpopped throughout the cook.

27220261371_fdc5d421d2_c.jpg

27256946026_178ce7fda9_c.jpg

After mopping the wings, the cover was placed back on and left on for about five minutes to set the glaze. Internal temp 175 and pull the chicken off.

27256949606_97e9a67a1e_c.jpg

The results-

26684362083_bbd5445f0b_c.jpg

26684361473_9a84731890_c.jpg

So the findings on the Sweet Baby Rays are a ten out of ten. The flavors are perfect. So damn good.

As for the results with mopping during the cook-

They were very very good but the ones that were left unmopped were more crispy skinned when eating.

So for the future I will prepare them this way:

Pat dry>light coat of EVOO>rub with Prudhomme Rub>cook indirectly with charcoal placed in center charcoal baskets and chicken outside perimeter>pull the chicken at 175 degrees internal temp>serve with sauce on the side.

Yeah I'm always searching for the crispy skin BBQ chicken but it's hard to obtain with any kind of mop/sauce/glaze. Do you think the evoo helps with crispness? Have you tried without the evoo? They look fantastic

Yeah I'm always searching for the crispy skin BBQ chicken but it's hard to obtain with any kind of mop/sauce/glaze. Do you think the evoo helps with crispness? Have you tried without the evoo? They look fantastic

Thanks for the suggestion. For one reason or another this is the way I've always done them and had such great success I haven't thought to try it without.

But I'm going to split up my next batch do half with and half just the dry rub and report back the results.

Back