UDS temp issues and windy day

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been running my UDS this afternoon and its kinda a windy day. It took me a while to get my temps up but once I did I have been maintaining 300 degrees +- 10 for a couple hours now. All of a sudden I noticed in the last 15 minutes my thermometer is up at 350. Now I did an hour ago remove the lid and wrap my meat in parchment paper. Could it be the wind all of a sudden affected it OR something I was thinking......Does the exhaust position of the lid have an affect? I may have put the lid on with the exhaust 180 off from before. If the intakes are one one side and the exhaust is 180 from them does that pull air under the basket more? I had to ask.....:roll:

I usually don't pay any mind to where my exhaust is situated in retrospect to the intakes. I do pay attention to wind direction though and try to get my intakes out of the wind.

Another thing I do as well is I sit my charcoal chimney over my 2" bung or the daisy wheel on my BPS drum. I have heard creates an updraft and will keep wind from blowing back in exhaust. Now weather that is true or not is beyond me. I do it anyhow.

I usually don't pay any mind to where my exhaust is situated in retrospect to the intakes. I do pay attention to wind direction though and try to get my intakes out of the wind.

Another thing I do as well is I sit my charcoal chimney over my 2" bung or the daisy wheel on my BPS drum. I have heard creates an updraft and will keep wind from blowing back in exhaust. Now weather that is true or not is beyond me. I do it anyhow.

Now I actually have a chimney for mine but I haven't been using it. I put it on earlier and checked the temps 30 minutes later and there was no change so I came to the conclusion the chimney made no noticeable difference in temps. YMMV though

If you have no issue with wind blowing real bad through the intakes, I would probably chalk it up to the wind causing more coals to light when you removed the lid. On mine I can't operate fast enough to stop flare ups so I shut my intakes down 3 or 4 minutes before opening lid and not opening them again for a few 3 or 4 more minutes after replacing the lid.

Hope it all works out for you in the end.

Take care!

Ray

I've had the same thing happen to me. I think lifting the lid gets more air to the coals and gets more lit spiking the temperature. I do the same as DJ. Seems to help.

It was the lid open/wrap that gotcha. Close all intakes, take meat out, put lid back on, wrap meat, open lid, put meat back on, close lid, open intakes at previous setting, sit down and drink a beer or 3. :thumb:

Back