The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First time corned beef and pastrami! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92692)

Dovid 09-20-2010 08:09 PM

First time corned beef and pastrami!

Hi all.

I did a 5 day pickle (2 cups salt/gallon, 1tbsp pink salt, spices). For the corned beef I rinsed it well and simmered until tender with an onion, carrot and celery. It was great tasting and was fall apart tender. Wow!

The pastrami was the same 5day soaking but went with a 12 hour fresh water salt removing soak with about 4 changes. I put a pepper, coriander and garlic rub on it and took it in my UDS to about 165 degrees. I then steam finished it to 170 degrees in my oven raised in a foil pan with water in the bottom.

The pastrami was cut thinly across the grain at an angle. My question is this. I think it was a bit rubbery in the chew. How can I prevent that and make it better?

Thanks so much in advance to all the experts (like Thirdeye, Norcoredneck, and BigMista and all the others)!

My next batch soaking is a weaker pickle (1cup salt/gallon, 1tbsp pink salt) which Alton Brown says is a 10day cure. Do y'all concur?

All the best! I am very happy with the taste and the corned beef texture.

Dovid

Bluesman 09-20-2010 08:11 PM

Try steaming to 200*. I do it that way and it really turns out tender.

Dovid 09-20-2010 08:21 PM

Thanks Bluesman, will try that on the next batch. I actually know where Fond du Lac is too!

Bluesman 09-20-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dovid (Post 1407708)
Thanks Bluesman, will try that on the next batch. I actually know where Fond du Lac is too!

If it isn't to much trouble can you tell me :confused:

Dovid 09-21-2010 10:46 AM

I also wonder what to do if I wanted the corned beef to hold together more? Boil fewer hours?

Has anyone parboiled their pastrami-to-be, then rubbed it and smoked it? Did it, or would it make a difference?

Thanks for the feedback!
Dovid

thirdeye 09-21-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dovid (Post 1407693)
Hi all.

The pastrami was cut thinly across the grain at an angle. My question is this. I think it was a bit rubbery in the chew. How can I prevent that and make it better?

Dovid

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dovid (Post 1408080)
I also wonder what to do if I wanted the corned beef to hold together more? Boil fewer hours?

Has anyone parboiled their pastrami-to-be, then rubbed it and smoked it? Did it, or would it make a difference?

Thanks for the feedback!
Dovid

If the pastrami was rubbery, you might try a pressure finish, provided of course that you have a pressure cooker. You can dial in about any level of tenderness. (Say it isn't exactly right after 20 minutes, you just pressure the pot back up for 5 or 6 more minutes and see how you like that)

A pressure cooker works great for cooking corned beef too, but since it starts off raw it takes longer than finishing a pastrami. I like better than braising as the closed system of a pressure cooker keeps more flavor in there.

Dovid 09-21-2010 12:39 PM

Thanks Thirdeye. I don't yet have a pressure cooker. I guess the answer is to steam the pastrami up to tenderness then, however I can get it there?

thirdeye 09-21-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dovid (Post 1408192)
Thanks Thirdeye. I don't yet have a pressure cooker. I guess the answer is to steam the pastrami up to tenderness then, however I can get it there?

Well don't rush out and buy one... but ask around. One of your friends might just have one you can borrow (you would be surprised how many folks have them, just don't use them). They really are a neat item to have, especially if you make stocks, soups or just want to cook veggies or potatoes quick.

Here is a link to Miss Vickies site and her corned beef recipe in a pressure cooker. Give it a read.

http://missvickie.blogspot.com/2009/...l-fixings.html

Dovid 09-21-2010 02:36 PM

Thanks again. I will read it soon. You are a real guide. Way back even, when I was building/investigating the UDS concept.

Dovid 10-03-2010 04:05 PM

Ok all. Wow. The second pastrami was 100% moister and somewhat more tender than the first. I removed it at about 155F from the smoker and put it into the oven at about 250F in a sealed pan raised above water. I took it to about 200F before resting and slicing across the grain on a bias. Got rave reviews, but I know I want more tenderness, ala deli sandwich style. So thirdeye, I will be looking towards a pressure cooker in the near future I believe! I don't think I will be able to achieve the moistness without it. Does everyone concur? Or am I trying to fit great pastrami into a style which needs a different cooking method? Thanks again!