Primo Oval XL questions

h2o

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Just about ready to pull the trigger on a Oval XL.
Trying to get some input on this cooker.
When cooking indirect to you use the d plates or use the fire divider ?
Also does this cooker use more fuel than a 18" round ceramic cooker ?
Any other input is appreciated

Most of the time I use both the divider and a D-plate. Filled half with lump is most of the time enough. On the other side i put the D-plate so you can cook direct on one side and direct on the other.
More fuel? I think it will be the same.

I love my Oval XL. Same as above post, less the D plate. Works great with just the charcoal divider. I can't see how there would be a difference in charcoal usage. 1st class rig, you will love it.

If you own a set of D plates, the only reason to use the divider is when you want to cook direct and indirect at the same time, i.e. Meatloaf and grilled veggies. Fuel usage in an Oval XL is slightly higher than a standard large round kamado, but still so low compared to any other type of charcoal cooker the difference is insignificant.

If you are buying an XL, go ahead and pick up the square tube steel table at the same time; it's the best table available now made by any brand, bar none IMO. As for making the buying decision, if I were in the market to buy a ceramic cooker for my patio, the XL would be my choice. The geometry is better for ribs, it has superior capacity and flexibility than any other cooker in its class and it is the only brand made in the USA. If you have a dealer nearby, its an easy decision. The only reason to consider another brand would be if you can't find a dealer and would be forced to ship a unit in. Shipping costs on ceramic smokers can be very high to some areas.

Disclaimer: My cook team is sponsored by Primo Grills.

I second the steel table and just roll with the D plates. I love mine for just poopin a few burgers or dogs on fires up quick.
69f5a7e4.jpg

69f5a7e4.jpg

5fed81b1.jpg

I have d plates and firebox divider, but I hardly every use the divider. If you do use the divider, make sure that it sits in tabs on the fire grate correctly and make sure that the divider is not touching the firebox, otherwise it will crack...I know this from experience unfortunately

Just an addendum - smokinit's photos don't show the stainless side tables that are available on the steel cart. I highly reccommend this option as well unless your space is limited.

Just an addendum - smokinit's photos don't show the stainless side tables that are available on the steel cart. I highly reccommend this option as well unless your space is limited.

They are a bit pricey for what they are. If you are handy make a set to your liking

I almost always use the d plates without the divider. I don't use the divider much actually, but sometimes I have used both. It is a very fun toy to use and I believe the best BBQ investment I've made. Don't worry about consumption. I've gone 22 hours on a load of lump and only stopped because I ran out of food to cook. When I opened it up the next week, I still had enough that I could've cooked again without adding more. It just doesn't burn a lot.

Back