The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pork Butts on a Pellet Pooper (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157273)

pburney 03-28-2013 08:55 AM

Pork Butts on a Pellet Pooper

I love to cook pork butts the low and slow method:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1: (on traeger) and doing 3 this friday.:grin::grin::grin: would like suggestions on how to keep the butts from sticking to the grates real bad.:doh::doh: When i see the butts on this web site i never see any stuck always perfectly cooked:clap::clap: any ideas guys. I do them at smoke for 2hrs then up to 225 for 12hrs till IT is 200 great pulled pork and bark it just sticks bad. maybe i just want a perfect world:roll::roll::roll:

ButtBurner 03-28-2013 09:05 AM

after the grates are hot, just before you put the meat on, rub the grates with shortening, or spray them with Pam, etc

pburney 03-28-2013 09:10 AM

Have tryed Pam on the grates cold at startup will try hot this time and see what happens :):)

hamiltont 03-28-2013 09:17 AM

I don't cook butts on a Traeger but I use a big, heavy-duty spatula and work it under the butts as I lift them off my cookers. Works pretty good. Cheers!!!

Johnny_Crunch 03-28-2013 09:20 AM

I think they are going to stick a little no matter what you do. Just get under them when you pick them up and you should be fine.

steve6224 03-28-2013 09:23 AM

I use to have a Traeger and I dont ever recall having any issues with the butts sticking nor have I ever had that problem with my FEC. I do the mustard slater prior to rub and not sure if that has any affect on it

MS2SB 03-28-2013 11:52 AM

I do butts on my Traeger often and have never had an issue with sticking, but I cook at a much higher temp, 275-300, maybe that has something to do with it. In any case, I'd suggest oiling the grates down when hot. I like to use an old rag which has been rolled up and tied, dip that into some oil and rub on the grates using a pair of tongs. Gives great coverage without risking the flare ups that can occur when spraying aerosolized oil onto a fire.

GMDGeek 03-28-2013 12:43 PM

I'll take pics this weekend but what I did last time on my traeger that worked well was:

2 Hours at the SMOKE setting with the butts sitting on the grate. I then transfer them into a tin pan, turn the temp up to 250-275 and cook for another 2 hours, then I cover with foil and cook til 185 on the probes, remove the foil, and pull them at around 190-195. Cover and rest.

pburney 03-28-2013 01:58 PM

Maybe i should try the warming pan idea sounds like that might work the best
have a bunch of al disposal pans around here. Any other ideas:blah::blah: from the BBQ Brethren on here.