The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Experimenting with pineapple juice (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150798)

Rolltide87 01-03-2013 10:47 PM

Experimenting with pineapple juice

As we all know, raw pineapple juice is a super efficient tenderizer, sometimes too efficient. We also know that brisket is super tough. So combing the two seems like a reasonable idea to me. The question is how to do it. My thoughts are 1. Inject the brisket at the beginning (I'm working with a smaller, deckle-off cut), and run the risk of it turning to mush. I'm aware that the enzyme in pineapple that makes it so potent stops being effective around 150 degrees, so it's possible that the enzyme won't be raised to an ineffective temp fast enough which leads me to 2. Inject when the meat temp has risen to say 100 degrees (and preheat the p-juice). My concern with this is potentially drying out the meat via poking around in it.

Any thoughts on this approach?

Outnumbered 01-03-2013 10:50 PM

No idea here, but I'm intrigued.

Wampus 01-03-2013 11:03 PM

The only experimenting with pineapple juice I've done was on NYE a few days ago when I mixed with ice and Malibu Rum and drank it. It sure was GOOD but I don't think it did anything to tenderize my meat.

:shock:

On a serious note, I would think that PJ would compliment pork better than brisket, but I really have no idea. I'm with outnumbered and am also intrigued.

bigabyte 01-03-2013 11:03 PM

I suggest searching for brother Knucklhed BBQ's thread where used tenderizer on brisket. He may have some advice on the subject, lessons learned, so to say.:thumb:

IamMadMan 01-03-2013 11:13 PM

I have not used it on a brisket, but I have injected fresh pineapple juice in pork butts.

Use it with moderation on pork butts because too much can throw the flavor off when the pineapple juice cooks inside the meat.

Bludawg 01-03-2013 11:13 PM

I know how to cook a brisket and get it tender as a mothers love and as Juicy as a cheerleader with a case of the hot pants. Frankly the thoughts of a smoky pineapple flavored brisket I find repulsive.:twitch::yuck:

Rolltide87 01-03-2013 11:32 PM

When using raw pineapple juice with beef in this way, I haven't found much actual pineapple flavor imparted. I have with ribs, though I basically coated a rack with pineapple slush for 3 hrs.

AustinKnight 01-03-2013 11:36 PM

I'm with Blu on this, you need pineapple injected/brine on brisket like you need a a$$H&%# on your forearm!:heh: You just don't need that on brisket. Just keep cooking brisket, 2 -3 times a month for a year you'll get it tender and be consistent at it to:shock:, also please don't inject apple juice either into beef after you try this fruit cocktail experiment. Now pork go for it, pina colada that chit!

Rolltide87 01-03-2013 11:46 PM

Only beer for beef in my house (so far as basting goes), no apple here.

Callahan-que 01-04-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2316234)
I know how to cook a brisket and get it tender as a mothers love and as Juicy as a cheerleader with a case of the hot pants. Frankly the thoughts of a smoky pineapple flavored brisket I find repulsive.:twitch::yuck:

Couldn't have said it better:clap:

Texas Turtle 01-04-2013 08:34 AM

I had a friend whose comp team made appetizers of boneless chicken breasts stuffed with cheese, ham & japalenos, wrapped with bacon, and marinated overnight in pineapple juice. They were the schnizzle for keeping people at bay waiting for the brisket to get done. I like pretty much everything with pineapple, but it seems better suited to pork than brisket IMHO.

Will32Rod 01-04-2013 09:14 AM

I have used pineapple juice with other citrus for marinating fajita meat. Works well in that application.

Jaskew82 01-04-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

as Juicy as a cheerleader with a case of the hot pants.

wow... lol. :twitch:

BigBellyBBQ 01-04-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

great point, especially about the cheerleader..cook your brisket with love and it will always be tender..properly cooked also requires NO foil..

caliking 01-04-2013 07:21 PM

I may be wrong, but if you use canned juice, I don't know if you still get the tenderizer action. The enzymes may beinactivated by the heat f the canning/pasteurization process. I think the tenderizing action only comes from using raw pineapple or its juice.