• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sausage 'n Eggs (with Pr0n)

HankB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I suppose most of you would call this a naked fatty, but 'sausage' sounded better to me for the title. The eggs are hard boiled that I wanted to smoke to make egg salad. And both of these are firsts for me! Hard to believe I've never smoked a fatty before and based on results, these won't be the last.

Started with
DSC_6105-PP.JPG

and put them on the top rack of my mini-WSM

DSC_6109-PP.JPG

I started with about half a chimney of briquettes left over from a previous smoke and threw a couple chunks of apple wood in for smoke flavor. The eggs were nicely colored up so they came off at about 25 minutes

DSC_6136-PP.JPG

Fatties took a little longer. I tried to take them off at 160° but they bled on the plate so they went back on til they hit 169°.

DSC_6123-PP.JPG

They took on a really nice smoke flavor, even though they are heavily spiced. I'd like to try hickory for the fatties but I'm entirely satisfied with apple for the hard boiled eggs.

DSC_6129-PP.JPG

I made the egg salad a few minutes ago. It was a really simple recipe (mayo, salt, pepper, chpped celeryleaves in lieu of parsley) and the smoke flavor really came through. It was really good.

I have to add props to my mini-WSM. I probably wouldn't fire up the big smoker for something like this, but half a chimney of charcoal in the mini and the results are great! :biggrin1:

Looks great from down here mate.
Rather impressed with your central yolks,good luck or a special way of hardboiling them?
cheers.
Titch

Looks great from down here mate.
Rather impressed with your central yolks,good luck or a special way of hardboiling them?
cheers.
Titch
Luck always helps. :wink:

I followed Alton Brown's directions to start with eggs in cold water, bring to a light boil, turn off the heat and cover for 15 minutes. Then chill the eggs with cold water (AB uses ice water) to stop further cooking. It seemed to work well.

Luck always helps. :wink:

I followed Alton Brown's directions to start with eggs in cold water, bring to a light boil, turn off the heat and cover for 15 minutes. Then chill the eggs with cold water (AB uses ice water) to stop further cooking. It seemed to work well.

Thanks mate.
Sounds simpler than me standing and swirling the water.
Cheers.
Titch

Great job. I tried smoked eggs before..........:tsk: Now I will have to try them again.............:clap2:

Never thought about cooking eggs like that. Might have to give it a try :grin:

Yes mate,swirling is supposed to central the yolk.
so I have been told.
cheers.
Titch
Interesting. I wonder if we have to swirl them in the opposite direction north of the equator.

Alton Brown claims that putting the carton of eggs on its side (so eggs are on their side rather than standing on end) will also center the yolks. Being the lazy bastage that I am, I'd give that a try first.

These were for egg salad so it didn't matter. But I think that smoked eggs would make awesome deviled eggs so I might give that a try and then centering would be useful.

Those eggs and fatties look stellar. Love the idea of smoked egg salad!

I'm relieved to see that I wasn't the only one OCD enough to note how centered the yolks were. I think Cook's Illustrated also mentioned shaking the eggs vigorously before boiling to get the yolks centered, in a recent issue.

Again it is demonstrated that keeping it simple (KISS principle) can produce a fun meal that appeals. Great job.
John

I've learned 2 new things in this thread. Firstly, Smoked boiled eggs! Never would of thought of that. I'll have to give that one a try someday.

Secondly, centered yolks! Gotta ask, why does it matter if the yolks are centered? I guess my free spirit has never even paid attention to that. I guess for some pretty deviled eggs it might be useful.

Always learning something new.... :clap:

Back