The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   how hot does the exterior of a UDS get during a cook? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152183)

upjeeper 01-23-2013 12:54 PM

how hot does the exterior of a UDS get during a cook?

how hot does the outside of a UDS get during a cook?

reason I ask, is that I want to build a cart for my smoker and i'm thinking 2x4's are probably not the best solution
i've got a MIG welder and it's not problem to make it from angle iron.

Wampus 01-23-2013 12:58 PM

I'd say purty hot. About as hot as the air temp inside of it. I'd think if you kept a clearance gap you'll be OK. Even a fireplace flu only requires inches of space for code. Also, I doubt the drum's ever going to get so hot that the lumber will combust.

upjeeper 01-23-2013 01:00 PM

got it.
will make the cart out of angle iron.

wifey saw my working on my USG the other day,then she made a comment about how i need a plasma torch... :-)

Bluesman 01-23-2013 01:00 PM

I wouldn't worry as long as there is an air gap. If you're nervous, get some light gauge aluminum and bend and tack it to the surf=ace that would contact the drum.

landarc 01-23-2013 01:02 PM

It gets as hot as inside, but, it only takes an air gap if a couple of inches to protect against fire.

JimF 01-23-2013 01:08 PM

It gets very hot around the bottom of the barrel. Hot enough to burn your hand. like everyone else said, either allow for a few inches of air or use some cheap aluminum

rocketmanray 01-23-2013 01:13 PM

Naw, all of you suggesting all that is needed is a small air gap are completely wrong.... sorry for the accusation.

Upjeepers is exactly right, he definitely needs to make it out of angle iron because of the latent fire damage when the UDS is unsupervised during the run to the refrig for more refreshments.

I managed to convince my wife that I needed a welder using the same logic that I needed to build something….. forget what it was, but I’m sure it was important at the time…. Ujeeprs, you definitely need a plasma torch, cutting the steel with the band saw, angle grinder, hacksaw, or chop saw is NOT the best way.

– Ujeepers, if you need any support please let me know!!

J

RMR

fantomlord 01-23-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upjeeper (Post 2339167)
how hot does the outside of a UDS get during a cook?

reason I ask, is that I want to build a cart for my smoker and i'm thinking 2x4's are probably not the best solution
i've got a MIG welder and it's not problem to make it from angle iron.

do you have a good source for drums in the Madison area? I may want to build a UDS at some point...feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.
thanks!

fweck 01-23-2013 01:17 PM

The International Mechanical Code would consider it an unlisted appliance and would require a clearance of 36" to combustibles. Use angle iron; it's not worth the risk.

Midnight Smoke 01-23-2013 01:42 PM

I also think angle iron would be the best choice, for one safer and two will last as long if not longer than the drum.

ssbbqguy 01-23-2013 02:30 PM

When looking at the side of a 55 galllon barrel, divided by the two or three strength rings temps are as follows on my design: top third 165, milddle 167 and bottom is 174 degrees with very little variation. My design uses firebricks for the lower third, so unlined without bricks will be significantly higher. The lids measured 173. This is when cooking at 250 inside. Steve.

N8man 01-23-2013 02:39 PM

this morning @19* I was hugging mine for warmth...
I bet the neighbors thought I'd finally lost it......

Smoke & Beers 01-23-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8man (Post 2339299)
this morning @19* I was hugging mine for warmth...
I bet the neighbors thought I'd finally lost it......

Your wife or your drum??? My wife would think I'd lost it if I hugged her in the morning instead of my drum :biggrin1:

As for clearance...yeah, go with the angle iron.
Some time ago, someone posted pics of a deck that caught on fire after they left a UDS on it unattended after they pulled the meat off of it and forgot to snuff it out.

HankB 01-23-2013 04:30 PM

Wood can deteriorate from long term exposure to heat and that can cause it to ignite at lower temperature. I don't recall the time or temperature required but it was covered in a fire science class.

If you decide to go with wood, only ever use it in a location where it will not set your house, garage, car etc on fire should it light up. For that matter, I always keep burning stuff away from the house and garage and cars. I don't want to be one mistake away from burning my house down.

citation: from http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ace-flues.html

"Wood exposed to heat, such as wood framing too close to a metal chimney in a building, is chemically transformed in an important way: its ignition point or combustion point is lowered - the wood can actually catch fire at a lower temperature. This means that by pyrolosis, wood and some other combustibles found in buildings are chemically changed by exposure to even relatively low but warm temperatures over time." (emphasis mine)

Smokin' D 01-23-2013 06:58 PM

I do not have a pic of what I did with mine, but words should do. Went to Harbor freight and bought a $40 two wheeled hand truck. This one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...uck-95061.html

I bolted the drum to it so the bottom was 4" off the ground. A couple of 4" tall feet were bolted to the bottom of the drum for stability. This set up makes it very easy to move the drum around. No potential fires or fatigue either. Very happy with it. Not only does it work well, my drum has a red Weber top so it looks great too!