The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Best way to ungunk a daisy wheel (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148298)

tortaboy 11-23-2012 10:43 AM

Best way to ungunk a daisy wheel

When starting the fire on my Egg, there is always the initial burnoff before smoke is totally clear. During this period, a small amount of creosote starts forming on the bottom of my daisy wheel.

Using the daisy wheel when I am cooking is no problem....but after the Egg cools, the gunk hardens on the daisy wheel, making it stick.

Any ideas how to easily clean the gunk from the daisy wheel?

Bludawg 11-23-2012 11:44 AM

Simple green, Remove it and soak it in naptha then clean it in simple green reinstall. Remove it and blast it with your weed burner( if you don't have one it's a good excuse to get one) then wire brush it. Trade it in for a stick burner.

fingerlickin' 11-23-2012 11:57 AM

I have the same problem and I'm fresh outta naptha.

milehigh 11-23-2012 12:15 PM

I always throw it on the grill and let her go wide open for a short time before i cap it off. Keeps it from building up.

Paul

Dr_KY 11-23-2012 12:18 PM

Heat it up, take it apart and hit with a cup brush on the rechargeable drill.

deepsouth 11-23-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milehigh (Post 2279061)
I always throw it on the grill and let her go wide open for a short time before i cap it off. Keeps it from building up.

Paul

this

tortaboy 11-23-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2279026)
Simple green, Remove it and soak it in naptha then clean it in simple green reinstall. Remove it and blast it with your weed burner( if you don't have one it's a good excuse to get one) then wire brush it. Trade it in for a stick burner.

Had a stick burner....prefer the Kamado.

Food comes out juicier, and I like sleep. :wink:

tortaboy 11-23-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milehigh (Post 2279061)

Paul

I often put it on the grill at the end of the cook, but that is when I'm snuffing out the fire with the ceramic top. Still warm inside. I'll have to try this when ramping it up to see if the additional heat melts the crud.

tortaboy 11-23-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 2279062)
Heat it up, take it apart and hit with a cup brush on the rechargeable drill.

What is a Cup brush?

swamprb 11-23-2012 04:10 PM

Are you using the rain cap to snuff the fire when you are done cooking?

Stick the DMFT on the grill to burn off the gunk.

tortaboy 11-23-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamprb (Post 2279224)
Are you using the rain cap to snuff the fire when you are done cooking?

Stick the DMFT on the grill to burn off the gunk.

Yes. I am using the rain cap to snuff out the fire.

Putting the Daisy wheel on the grill has not done a good job at cleaning off the gunk so far....but, I usually put it on at the very end of the cook when I have the rain cap on. Even though the fire is going out, the egg is still hot for awhile.

I may have to put it on at higher heat, and/or at least put it on the grill as the Egg is coming UP to temp. Will be curious to see if this helps.

Is this a non issue for some of you Kamado owners?

cookingdude555 11-23-2012 05:10 PM

Mine is only used for low and slow, all other cook temps are handled with the lower vent only. So it's not much of an issue. Throw it in the coals during a hot cook, that will clean it.

Oldyote 11-23-2012 05:52 PM

When mine gets bad I just throw it in the lump after a cook and open up the vents.