The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Comp Class Recommendation (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87574)

Rich Parker 07-01-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones (Post 1325144)
Would those be winter and construcion seasons?

Bingo!

tonto1117 07-01-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 1324404)
BBQ season and winter? :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones (Post 1325144)
Would those be winter and construcion seasons?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Parker (Post 1325488)
Bingo!

Yepper! :heh:

Rich Parker 07-01-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 1325087)
I enjoy those PM's Nate. Means you're thinking and that means understanding. Keep them coming.

And while I have nothing official. I have had a few folks volunteer for my next cooking class (if any). I have had a few top teams step up to volunteer as guest instructors i am sure a lot of teams will be excited to hear who wants to step up to help fight cancer and hopefullly learn something new on how to prepare and compete at a top level.

I promise to stop and pay the tolls if I come back down :)

Farking toll booths !

Great class for a great cause

Spydermike72 07-01-2010 12:35 PM

I am personally looking forward to Plowboys/Butchers class!! And if/when Scottie has one again in the area I hope to make that one too!!

Jorge 07-01-2010 12:52 PM

Great thread.

Last year I took the class that Rod and Johnny were doing. They shared it all, including ingredients. More than the ingredient lists I came home with an understanding of how they worked, and what they were trying to accomplish. It got me out of a rut, and allowed me to start looking at things with an open mind. I hadn't realized that I'd been in a rut, until I sat there for a couple of hours. If they do future classes together or seperately, I'd highly recommend it.

I've never taken Dr. BBQ's class but spent a couple of days with him over the last couple of years and Ray is one of the best communicators I've ever met! With his schedule these days, I don't know that he has the time to do classes, but I'd take one if I could make it. If you ask Ray a question, you will get his honest and direct answer. That's worth the price of admission.

Plowboys, and Butchers BBQ... I've cooked with Todd a couple of times in the last year. I've cooked next to David w/Todd. Todd is a really thoughtful guy, that has developed products that he uses, just as David has. Both have been successful. When either of them talks, I'll listen!

Scottie is the next guy on my list of classes I want to take. The cause his classes support is reason enough. His experience and success don't hurt either! If I can get away, I'm there!

When any of those guys talk, it's in your interest to listen whether you pay a fee or not. WHY they do the things they do, is just as important as WHAT they do.

Bones 07-01-2010 04:06 PM

I have only taken one class and that was Scotties class. If you are looking for technique and seasonings he does both in his class. My first contest after the class I was 10th in pork and 6th in brisket. I had only received one call in pork before his class after cooking comps for 2 years (about 10 contest).
Highly recommended

J Appledog 07-01-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monty3777 (Post 1324409)
I think one thing to take seriously before taking a class is how much the teaching reflects the kind of Q you do. For instance, I plan to take the Plowboys/ Butchers class primarily to get some tips on how to get the most out of the FEC. If you cook with a stickburner at high temps them maybe a class taught by Mike Davis or Myron Mixon would be better for you. In addition some classes give you a look into the complete cooking process (rubs, injections and everything else). Some will only give you help on techniques - but they won't give you specific help on flavors etc.

So, what do you need/expect to learn?

Wow; I cook on Big Green Eggs. Is there no help for me?

bdodd444 07-02-2010 09:20 AM

I really appreciate everyone's responses. I didn't realize what I would be starting. I have had a hard time finding classes posted on the internet. Is it possible to start a "sticky" of comp classes and all of you offering them post when and where with a link? It would be nice to have one stop shopping for classes. I don't know how that works, maybe a moderator can set up a topic in the "sticky" section interested parties could post to and check. Thanks again.

Brian

Jorge 07-02-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdodd444 (Post 1326325)
I really appreciate everyone's responses. I didn't realize what I would be starting. I have had a hard time finding classes posted on the internet. Is it possible to start a "sticky" of comp classes and all of you offering them post when and where with a link? It would be nice to have one stop shopping for classes. I don't know how that works, maybe a moderator can set up a topic in the "sticky" section interested parties could post to and check. Thanks again.

Brian

Great suggestion! Done.

My only request is that the contributions to that thread be limited to dates, locations, and brief reviews after someone has taken the class. That will make the info on upcoming classes easier to find. After a class has been held the date and location info will be deleted. The reviews will remain to allow people to gather info and decide whether that class is for them or not, in the future.

swamprb 07-03-2010 02:46 AM

The Pacific Northwest is ripe for a big name class, just sayin'!

Spydermike72 07-03-2010 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Appledog (Post 1326024)

Julie, you can teach that class!!

monty3777 07-03-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Appledog (Post 1326024)

I don't think so :shocked:

JD McGee 07-04-2010 12:27 AM

I took Paul Kirk's class a few years back and it was an eye opener...Paul was very thorough in his descriptions of HOW to prep and HOW to cook good BBQ. We used his rubs for the pork butts and briskets but were allowed to create our own for the chicken and ribs...it was interesting how many different rubs were concocted that day...some good...some not so good. The main thing I took away was the basics...fire...prep...smoke. :becky:

I have since developed my own style of cooking that incorporates several styles...Paul's for the basics...Ray Lampe for technique...Adam Perry Lang for creativity...and swamprb (Brian Moriarty) for competition...(cooking for the judges and presentation). :cool:

I am very interested in taking Todd and David's class this November to help me out on the catering side as well as to get an idea of competition cooking on a national level...plus I'm thinking of crossing over to the dark side and investing in an FEC100...:tape:

I think any class that a seasoned pit master is giving will help the beginner...once you know which direction you want to go you can then choose that style to follow...or create your own...good luck with your decision. :-P

HoDeDo 07-07-2010 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=Scottie;1325087]I enjoy those PM's Nate. Means you're thinking and that means understanding. Keep them coming.

And while I have nothing official. I have had a few folks volunteer for my next cooking class (if any). I have had a few top teams step up to volunteer as guest instructors i am sure a lot of teams will be excited to hear who wants to step up to help fight cancer and hopefullly learn something new on how to prepare and compete at a top level.[/QUOTE

I'm more than happy to help Scottie, I can vac out your pellet pots or something :thumb:

Scottie 07-08-2010 07:07 AM

[QUOTE=HoDeDo;1331052]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 1325087)
I enjoy those PM's Nate. Means you're thinking and that means understanding. Keep them coming.

And while I have nothing official. I have had a few folks volunteer for my next cooking class (if any). I have had a few top teams step up to volunteer as guest instructors i am sure a lot of teams will be excited to hear who wants to step up to help fight cancer and hopefullly learn something new on how to prepare and compete at a top level.[/QUOTE

I'm more than happy to help Scottie, I can vac out your pellet pots or something :thumb:

Careful or you and the girls will be making a trip to Chi-town! ;)