The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   KCBS Contest Map Application (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45947)

The Pickled Pig 07-14-2008 03:22 PM

KCBS Contest Map Application

A few weeks ago Todd (Plowboy) suggested I create an interactive mapping application that visually depicts contest locations. A version of such an application is now available for anyone's use.

http://www.thepickledpig.com/ppapps/...testmapper.cfm

The pushpins have info and links tied to them (i.e., results for prior contests). And you can use the legend to narrow the view to weekly.

Mod Note:

This map is no longer available.

Just Pulin' Pork 07-14-2008 03:25 PM

Paul that is pretty freaking sweet! Nice job and thanks for sharing this info!

Scottie 07-14-2008 03:32 PM

Very very cool.... That will save me a lot of time comparing where everything is...

Thanks Paul...

Sledneck 07-14-2008 03:35 PM

Nice!!!!! You my friend have a gift!!!

Plowboy 07-14-2008 03:41 PM

Shouldn't this say brought to you by Plowboys BBQ somewhere? :biggrin:

Good job bringing it to life, Paul. Are you going to run with some of the other ideas?

Historical results - See results from each contest by drilling in on the push pins

Personalized profiles - teams and judges can set their own schedules for the year. You can see where a team has been and where they are going.

This could turn into a social networking site where people start looking at the schedules of their friends and/or rivals. You can choose to go to or avoid a contest based on who is planning to be there.

KCBS REALLY should be considering these kinds of progressive ideas. But, like any government organization :wink:, private enterprise has to push innovation.

Smokin Gator 07-14-2008 03:48 PM

That is pretty farkin sweet.

The Pickled Pig 07-14-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy (Post 685985)
Shouldn't this say brought to you by Plowboys BBQ somewhere? :biggrin:

Good job bringing it to life, Paul. Are you going to run with some of the other ideas?

Historical results - See results from each contest by drilling in on the push pins

Personalized profiles - teams and judges can set their own schedules for the year. You can see where a team has been and where they are going.

This could turn into a social networking site where people start looking at the schedules of their friends and/or rivals. You can choose to go to or avoid a contest based on who is planning to be there.

Historical results are there. Click on any contest from July 6 or eariler and you should see a link for the results. Would you rather see the results emedded directly in the info window?

The profiles and networking stuff will come but that's a little more involved from a development standpoint. If folks like this type of format, I might get something up in time for the 09 season.

There's a lot of functionality that can be added to this application. Contest ratings and reviews, weather overlays, street level camera views of the contest sites, team maps, ranked team maps, rep maps, etc. Unfortunately, I'm a one man operation and I'm not very good or very fast and easily get distracted so it may take a while.:-P

Plowboy 07-14-2008 04:02 PM

How about Grand, Reserve, and category winners in the window? That would be cool.

Pig Headed 07-14-2008 05:55 PM

Very nice. Appreciate all the work that went into that.

tboneld 07-14-2008 06:59 PM

I think it is awesome. If you did decide to enhance it, it would be interesting to show a year view.

Alexa RnQ 07-14-2008 07:28 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I was JUST wishing for such a thing -- just the tool needed for deciding where to move next so as to be within a few hours' drive of a contest on any given weekend!

chinesebob 07-14-2008 07:43 PM

Can we get the optimized for the iPhone? Nice App. Very well done.

StLouQue 07-14-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig (Post 685998)
Unfortunately, I'm a one man operation and I'm not very good or very fast and easily get distracted so it may take a while.:-P

Psssh... take your time; you've already passed the KCBS in getting this far! Awesome work and concept, gentlemen.

MMA, are you taking notes?

ssbbqguy 07-14-2008 08:03 PM

Nice job! as time goes on I see this only getting better, thanks, Steve.

The Pickled Pig 07-14-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tboneld (Post 686110)
I think it is awesome. If you did decide to enhance it, it would be interesting to show a year view.

Good suggestion...easily done.

http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/...mapperyear.cfm