The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What do you think about this? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70833)

HBMTN 10-14-2009 07:19 PM

What do you think about this?

I am in the process of opening a catering/vending business in the spring. It will be a part time weekend business for now. I have been approached by someone who is starting up a vending business that will go around to job sites and factories during the week providing lunches. He is interested in buying BBQ from me to offer in his truck. Is this something you would consider? It worries me that someone like this will take my BBQ and let it dry out or put some nasty BBQ sauce on it and tell people he buys it from me, I would be worried people would say remind me never to buy Hogback Mtn BBQ. So I was thinking if I did sell it to him make him sign some kind of disclosure contract that stated he could not say it was my BBQ and just be able to say it was a generic BBQ or something. Or should I not sell it to him at all? Also if I did, what should I charge him? I plan to sell it for around $11.00 per pound when I vend. Thanks for your input!

Cabntmkr1 10-15-2009 08:54 AM

Yikes! I would be very careful of this... in fact I wouldn't do it.
What happens if someone said they got sick from eating the bbq and he points a big fat finger directly at you?
It's your reputation at stake here, and possibly your house, car, etc.

You can control that reputation only if YOU control that reputation!
Good luck, Bro, but I would run from this one...

big brother smoke 10-15-2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cabntmkr1 (Post 1056307)
Yikes! I would be very careful of this... in fact I wouldn't do it.
What happens if someone said they got sick from eating the bbq and he points a big fat finger directly at you?
It's your reputation at stake here, and possibly your house, car, etc.

You can control that reputation only if YOU control that reputation!
Good luck, Bro, but I would run from this one...

Sage advice, take it!:cool:

Bushwacker 10-15-2009 10:36 AM

I agree with Cabntmkr1, you don't know how he is gonna store leftovers for tomorrow om his truck, It could come back and Bite you in the A**, and a signed document from him is prolly no good unless it is done by a lawyer.. Just my 2 cents...

Skip 10-15-2009 03:46 PM

I would check out his truck and if possible do a ride along with him one day. See how he takes care of his product. See what the mob is like at jobsites. Is it a frenzied mess or an orderly line up. Everyone here is right on in what they say. i just wondewr if you shouldn't do you own research on him before saying no. For all you know he may be more sanitary then you are....and please realize that isn't a dig at you. I have seen some of those roach coach driver be more anal about food storage prep and service then i am and i am a stickler.

Sauced! 10-15-2009 03:49 PM

Why not hit some of the job sites yourself and sell? You could make it a once a week or every other week deal where you take advance orders so you know how much you need? Just a thought?

Skip 10-15-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauced! (Post 1056744)
Why not hit some of the job sites yourself and sell? You could make it a once a week or every other week deal where you take advance orders so you know how much you need? Just a thought?

Oooo be careful with that. I have been on some jobsites where the "caterer" would put a contract out on you.

txschutte 10-15-2009 07:47 PM

Honestly, if you are all good with the HD, I say go for it. If he is reselling your product, he is still the consumer as far as you are concerned. Make him sign an acknowledgement of recieving proper handling and reheat instructions. Kinda like what you would do while leaving leftovers at a catering gig.

Get the nondisclosure agreement if yopu feel the need, but honestly, his customers won't give two rats asses if he tries to point fingers. They will simply won't ever talk to him again if there is a problem.

C Rocke 10-15-2009 08:18 PM

Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!

Bbq Bubba 10-15-2009 08:37 PM

I do just that. i have a local company buying about 20 lbs of product in small intervals throughout the week. They have a standard steam table and use their own sauce and rolls. They buy it from me and sell it as theres. Once the products in their hands, its their responsibility.
Easy money i say, getting $10/lb for pork and $12/lb for brisket.
Who can turn down an extra 200 bucks a week for just cookin? :wink:

HBMTN 10-15-2009 09:10 PM

It seems the majority are saying run from it, and I am perfectly ok with that because I had reservations anyway which is why I posted it here. As far as the saftey issue, is it much different than if I were vending and also selling pork by the pound and someone buys six pound to take home and have friends over that night and leaves it in the danger zone too long? I won't know how he is handling it either. I guess what I am trying to say is where/when does the liability fall from the vendor to the consumer? Like to-go boxes when you leave a restaraunt.

Bknox 10-16-2009 11:29 AM

You should absolutely make sure the integrity of your product is maintained at the highest level. As well as word of mouth works for you, it will kill you if you are misrepresented or your product is not presented at the level you present it yourself.

Thats my 2 cents.

Bknox 10-16-2009 11:31 AM

You should absolutely make sure the integrity of your product is maintained at the highest level. As well as word of mouth works for you, it will kill you if you are misrepresented or your product is not presented at the level you present it yourself.

Thats my 2 cents.