Keeping Pulled Pork

T

TangSooDoMan

Hello, I am smoking 4 sholders this weekend to take to Tennessee from New Orleans. The party it's for isn't until the following Saturday. What is the best way to keep it fresh for a week.

If it were me...I would prepare it to serve and then cool it down as fast as possible and freeze until you are ready to travel. Keep it in a cooler on ice and let it thaw a day or two on ice or refrigeration. Reheat in the oven by adding some apple juice for moisture and a bit of rub and some sauce if desired, cover with foil.

If it were me...I would prepare it to serve and then cool it down as fast as possible and freeze until you are ready to travel. Keep it in a cooler on ice and let it thaw a day or two on ice or refrigeration. Reheat in the oven by adding some apple juice for moisture and a bit of rub and some sauce if desired, cover with foil.

Pretty much this method is what I use. However, I do not reheat in the oven. I use ziplock freezer bags and place the bags in large pots of hot water. Water needs to be just below a boil. This will gently heat the pulled pork.

Pretty much this method is what I use. However, I do not reheat in the oven. I use ziplock freezer bags and place the bags in large pots of hot water. Water needs to be just below a boil. This will gently heat the pulled pork.
I've used the vac bag in a pot of boiling water and that does work fantastic. I think I would rather do it that way if I could.

Yep, if you go with the ziplock method, be sure to use the heavier "freezer" grade.
I have seen the lesser everyday bags break after heating.

I only trust name brand Ziplock Freezer bags...

Boil-in-bag will work, but for 4 shoulders -- I'd use the oven. You'd be boiling bags forever to reheat that much meat.
Your mileage may vary!

Could be like an old friend of mine.... Just NUKE IT!!!! :shock: :lol:

ps... don't do it... I died when I tasted it... blah!!!

Vac bags for sure, tried the zip locks but not to good when we put in water some came open. Never had a problem with vacuseal bags.

By the way drop some eggs, veggies and pre-cooked sausage in a vacu bag, just before camping trip, place in cooler until breakfast time then boil, smoosh and serv....tada no mess!

Vac bags is the only way we roll :).....ziplock double seal freezers work good to.I agree with Chad,with that much pork to reheat,i'd do the oven route.

Vac bags for sure, tried the zip locks but not to good when we put in water some came open. Never had a problem with vacuseal bags.

By the way drop some eggs, veggies and pre-cooked sausage in a vacu bag, just before camping trip, place in cooler until breakfast time then boil, smoosh and serv....tada no mess!

NICE!!!!!!!!!! :razz:

At the restaurant we do alot of "production bbq" meaning that we cook hundreds of pounds of pulled pork, vac pac it and freeze it. What we do is cook the pork, pull it, add some sauce for moisture and then vac pac and freeze it. Thawing is an overnight process in the cooler ( or under any refrigerated conditions), then heat; with more sauce; then serve.

Boiling sounds like a great method. I nuke mine without problems- of course I add sauce

Back