Do apple trees fair well in Oklahoma?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am going to be buying my first home here in Tulsa, Oklahoma and I was wondering if anyone knew if an apple tree would fair well here.

Or perhaps there is another fruit wood tree that does better better in these parts?

My idea is I eventually want to be able to have free branches for barbecue/smoking :) (Free fruit wouldn't be bad either! )

It's going to be up to 10 years before the trimmings will be big enough to use for smoking. I don't know about whether they will grow well in your area, but a local nursery would be able to help you with that question.

It's going to be up to 10 years before the trimmings will be big enough to use for smoking. I don't know about whether they will grow well in your area, but a local nursery would be able to help you with that question.

This is what I was thinking. You gotta be planning for long term. :shock:

In one of my previous careers I was a nursery manager. I can guarantee you that there are probably a wide variety of apple trees that would do well in Oklahoma. I'm in south central Texas and if they do well here with our extreme summers, lack of rainfall and lack of cold winters they should do really well there. Fruit trees, (not including citrus) grow and produce best in areas with a decent, measurable amount of rainfall and chilling hours in the winter months. You've got us beat by a mile on those things.

Back