Salt and Pepper Brisket

L

Larry Wolfe

Put on a 7lb flat this morning around 10am, seasoned with Kosher salt and lots of black pepper. Just wanted to keep this one simple. More pic's to follow.

simplicity is a good thing. A lot of people put too much in there rubs. You want it to compliment the meat, not overwhelme it. Let us know how it turns out

I'm a big fan of simplicity with brisket, there is so much wonderful flavor in the meat you don't need much to bring it out and complement it.

One of my favorite rub's Larry...........if it goes over well, do you plan on bottling your own??? :biggrin:

One of my favorite rub's Larry...........if it goes over well, do you plan on bottling your own??? :biggrin:

Maybe...............:icon_blush: LOL I've been wanting to dry the S&P brisket for awhile. Then I've seen alot of well known BBQ joints that do this so I figured what the heck I will give it a shot!

Too late bro, these guys already did it. Here is a product review I did for Spepper on The Cooks Kitchen.

spepperbig4a.jpg

DSC01085a.jpg

Maybe...............:icon_blush: LOL I've been wanting to dry the S&P brisket for awhile. Then I've seen alot of well known BBQ joints that do this so I figured what the heck I will give it a shot!

Don't know if you caught my prime rib thread, but I used some Kreuz rib that thillin sent me. It's salt, black pepper and cayenne. I really liked the results. My beef rubs are usually simple, but always have granulated garlic in them, I'm going to do a few more on the plain side without the garlic.

I like spares and butt with only salt and pepper.

I have also done the S&P rib's, girl's love em that with way with a lite glazing of sauce!!
Gonna try a brisket monday with just Montreal steak seasoning, anyone tried that before?

I have also done the S&P rib's, girl's love em that with way with a lite glazing of sauce!!
Gonna try a brisket monday with just Montreal steak seasoning, anyone tried that before?

I fall back on the Montreal alot. (even my pastrami and smoked salmon gets a taste of it) Do you make your own or use the store bought?

That was my biggest mistake when I first start BBQ was putting to much crap on the meat. Lawry seasoning and apple juice work great for me maybe a little cumin on beef or ribs

Store bought but printer's ready if you got a recipe!! :wink:

Here is the one I like, but you know what you like so a tickle here or there may be in order.

Montreal Steak Rub – A coarse rub suited for beef, but also good on pork, chicken and potatoes.

Ingredients:
3T coriander seeds
3T black peppercorns
4T dried bell pepper (mix green & red bell pepper)
2T onion flakes
2T garlic flakes
2T sea salt
1T caraway seeds
2T dill seeds
1T dried thyme
1t dried lemon peel

Combine all ingredients and grind in a coffee grinder.

Sound good to me. It similair to a cuban rub. Think I try it

Last edited:
Here is the one I like, but you know what you like so a tickle here or there may be in order.

Montreal Steak Rub – A coarse rub suited for beef, but also good on pork, chicken and potatoes.

Ingredients:
3T coriander seeds
3T black peppercorns
4T dried bell pepper (mix green & red bell pepper)
2T onion flakes
2T garlic flakes
2T sea salt
1T caraway seeds
2T dill seeds
1T dried thyme
1t dried lemon peel

Combine all ingredients and grind in a coffee grinder.

Thank's for that one!!

Cool, I've been wanting to make my own Montreal rub, now I have a recipe to start.

I also did a salt and pepper brisket (with a touch of a few other spices) today. I cut the point away from the flat before cooking and had just had the best burnt ends I've ever made.

I took the points up to 202 without foiling, then held them in the cooler for a good four hours before cutting one of the points up.

Injected with beef broth and a touch of worchestishire sauce.

Back