The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brethren Bashes (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277653)

Hotch 03-16-2020 02:49 PM

90% Successful this morning. Only major item left is the Cabo!! Going to get that later today hopefully.

Hotch 03-16-2020 04:37 PM

I'll be honest. I'm getting a lot of pushback from my family today.

I may have to make the call today or tomorrow on weather to postpone the Bash.

frognot 03-16-2020 05:09 PM

Being as I work in a large hospital in Dallas have decided not to attend. My primary area to work is low risk but am entering an environment where potential to exposure is higher than normal.

Y'all be safe out there!

ronbrad62 03-16-2020 05:41 PM

I just saw a story about the city of Dallas looking to implement restrictions and guidelines regarding the Coronavirus. Trump wants everyone to restrict gatherings to 10 or less. :doh:

Hotch 03-16-2020 05:42 PM

Well guys I'm gonna call it and postpone the 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash.

I've asked a few people I trust and knowledgeable somewhat about things like this.
I believe it would be prudent to just postpone it for later this Spring.
If it was just me I would be there but it's not.
It's all of us and I would hate to have one of us take ill with the virus when attending the Bash and possibly pass it on to their family at home.

Please call, text or email the other guys in case they don't see this post.

I hope you understand.

Sid Post 03-17-2020 03:45 PM

I understand the need for caution! :wink:

I also think a huge number of people at large are totally over-reacting and making things needlessly worse. Some prudent caution is warranted but, not some of the craziness I'm seeing.

Fights over a 4-pack of toilet paper? Really? Or the lady in line from Kansas buying toilet paper in rural East Texas because "Kansas is out"! :shock: :roll:

Or the lady in line at the grocery store who asked: "Is it safe to boil bottled water?" :der: I mean really, my well comes from the same source at Nestle Waters in Hawkins, Texas and this lady is worried about boiling it! She was really proud to get the last two $9/box antibacterial Kleenex too!:drama:

Prudent caution and sensible cleaning practices I'm fine with but, I'm sorry :der:, a TOILET PAPER FORT won't stop Coronavirus from entering your house!

LYU370 03-17-2020 11:24 PM

Local liquor store still has plenty of Jim Beam & beer and my deep freeze is full of meat. I'm good. :thumb:

Hotch 03-18-2020 10:05 AM

I just received a phone call, yes a phone call, and the gentleman said the Texas Parks has cancelled reservations for group locations and I will be receiving my money back.
Thank you Texas State Parks for the call. I do appreciate it. :mrgreen:

Happy Hapgood 03-19-2020 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LYU370 (Post 4285232)
Local liquor store still has plenty of Jim Beam & beer and my deep freeze is full of meat. I'm good. :thumb:

Maybe NOW you can cook that Gator and post some pic's!!!! :cool:

Hotch 06-05-2020 09:45 PM

I'm kind of hankering for a Texas Bash.
Would it be best just to hold off until the Texas Fall Bash? :mrgreen:

ronbrad62 06-05-2020 11:20 PM

I will definitely do my best to be there. Please post the dates as possible and I will start working on it.

sliding_billy 06-06-2020 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotch (Post 4328853)
I'm kind of hankering for a Texas Bash.
Would it be best just to hold off until the Texas Fall Bash? :mrgreen:

I agree with that, but it might be worth looking at North Texas for the Fall Bash. We had pretty light turnout at the last Belton one. Maybe split the difference in time a bit and do it in very early fall to avoid the cold that occasionally hampers the fall bash..

Sid Post 06-07-2020 09:36 AM

Personally, I like the Belton location a lot. I think the DFW bash location has an advantage though because of the obvious airport advantages and Interstate connections.

Post Coronavirus lockdown, I think Belton has an advantage for people that want to go to Lockhart and Austin for even more BBQ pre or post Bash. Personally, in addition to the Bash, Slovachek's in West is a big draw for me. Of course, I need to visit Lockhart as well. Someday I'll venture a little farther to Snow's and some of the BBQ joints in Austin.

At this point, work permitting, I'm good with anything from El Paso to Texarkana, and Amarillo to Port Aransas! :thumb:

pjtexas1 06-07-2020 07:31 PM

We set the date and made the reservation for belton back in early March as several needed to put in for vacation. The big request is always to avoid UT and A&M home games. That limits the dates a lot. Another issue might be the virus again. The dfw area has had higher rates than Bell county. Of course that could all change.

Overlook Pavilion Saturday 10-24-2020. Belton, Tx

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Blythewood BBQ'er 06-07-2020 07:50 PM

Wendy did already put in for it off but she says it's pretty open so she could probably change it.
With that being said I am a bit worried about travelling. My concern is getting there and having another lock out. It would suck to get half way there to find out things closed down again.

Honestly still trying to sort it all out

Hotch 06-07-2020 07:51 PM

We have not cooked much this year and just itching for trip and cook!

Blythewood BBQ'er 06-07-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotch (Post 4329945)
We have not cooked much this year and just itching for trip and cook!

You're tell me! I got a brand new 5th wheel I'm itching to drag somewhere. Can't even find a site anywhere close for it's inaugural run.

Hotch 06-07-2020 08:25 PM

I have committed to a cook on 10-24 so not sure if we can make it to Belton.
But things could change!

Sid Post 06-08-2020 01:01 AM

Considering the state of things today, I don't think another lockdown is really possible. With the RIOTS, I suspect in ~3 weeks there will be a pretty big spike in Coronavirus related cases though, I suspect most of those people won't honor social distancing or other related mandates. I also tend to think most local government agencies won't or can't withstand another lockdown and the economic impacts it would bring.

Whether state parks would be open is an unknown if things take a turn for the worse.

Having Texas DPS stop out of state vehicle plates for a 14-day quarantine will be unenforceable this time if it happens again. It is one thing to have two or three cars from Louisianna but, 30 or 50 plus others from other states will overwhelm resources. Now add, law enforcement requirements to deal with RIOTS and other civil disorder and, who is left to deal with quarantine enforcement. Add young adults going to the beach, etc. and again resources are stretched too thin to enforce another wide-scale shutdown.

Whether we want to travel under conditions like that is a different issue.

Most of the people I know are more concerned with haircuts than Coronavirus so, let's just say my expectations are pretty low for another lockdown with any real effect on the general population. Not to mention the election-related disturbances whether you are for or against Trump or Biden or Antifa or BLM or ...!

Hotch 06-13-2020 10:48 AM

Well it looks like the EggFest we are to cook at in October may not happen.
If so I will be at the 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash.
May have to be a day trip again unless I can sleep in Paul's Cooker Shack! :mrgreen:

pjtexas1 06-13-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotch (Post 4332912)
May have to be a day trip again unless I can sleep in Paul's Cooker Shack! :mrgreen:

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

LYU370 06-13-2020 01:03 PM

On the calendar. We'll see how things go as we get closer.

Sid Post 06-14-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotch (Post 4332912)

Bummer about Eggfest.

Hope to see you at the bash!

pjtexas1 06-16-2020 10:15 PM

Took the scenic route today. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0d33f4aeaa.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6d9620276e.jpg

Hotch 06-16-2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4334952)

You should have called!
I would have bought lunch!!
:mrgreen:

ssv3 06-18-2020 11:07 PM

I'm penciling it in. I plan on driving down hopefully and making pit stops in AZ and NM.

frognot 06-19-2020 09:00 AM

Got my last round of cancer treatment (four year course of immunotherapy) scheduled for October and will schedule it to be done a week prior to the bash. Will bring a special bottle of bourbon and ask that y'all will join me in a celebratory toast.

My first out of state bash (SoCal 2016) was a celebration after my first round.

sliding_billy 06-19-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frognot (Post 4336094)
Got my last round of cancer treatment (four year course of immunotherapy) scheduled for October and will schedule it to be done a week prior to the bash. Will bring a special bottle of bourbon and ask that y'all will join me in a celebratory toast.

That is great news, Charles!

Sid Post 06-19-2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

That makes the trip worth it to me all by itself. Congrats on completing the immunotherapy and making it out to the other side after cancer treatment. :thumb:

pjtexas1 06-19-2020 07:51 PM

Sako... we'd be glad to have you again.

Charles... that's awesome!

vicdog 06-19-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Thatíll be awesome! Iíll drink to that.

Hotch 06-20-2020 08:31 AM

Good to hear Charles!
Hope we can make it to the Bash! :mrgreen:

Blythewood BBQ'er 06-21-2020 06:57 PM

Man y'all really pushing me to come! I'd love a celebratory bourbon with Charles! A possible chance to finally meet Sako! And of course all the great Brethren I met there before. I still have 2 weeks of vacay and Wendy still has hers on the books. Let me hem and haw on it a bit more.

Btw the last bourbon I actually drank was with Dave Fisk at the last Carolina Bash before his health fell. Really would be a fitting tribute for my next bourbon.

Blythewood BBQ'er 06-21-2020 07:18 PM

Lots of campsites available @ LOR RV park.

LYU370 06-23-2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv3 (Post 4335991)
I'm penciling it in. I plan on driving down hopefully and making pit stops in AZ and NM.

Awesome! I drove a total of about 3500 miles last year. Might fly again this next time.

Sid Post 06-24-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv3 (Post 4335991)

Great! I've been thinking about going back to AZ and NM for a post lockdown trip because I lived in Tucson for ~15 years and have fond memories of good times along I-10 and others along I-40. Albuquerque to Las Cruces is a nice detour as well with some nice scenery along the way and for me, a near mandatory stop at Sparky's in Hatch, NM. The Confederate Air Force near Midland-Odessa is another target of opportunity that is a bit under the radar.

When school starts again before the snow gets deep, Flagstaff and the North Rim / Zion area is really nice along with the NE part of NM. Death Valley with a detour through Las Vegas was always nice too!

Blythewood BBQ'er 06-24-2020 06:16 PM

Wendy and I have decided to wait 1 more month til we decide if we are coming or not. I'm going to go ahead and request the 2 weeks off and she'll obviously keep hers on the books. I'll just wait until next month to make the reservation or not. Hate to do it like this but kinda different this time. If it was normal we would already have the reservation.

pjtexas1 06-24-2020 07:26 PM

Totally understand Dennis. I hope it all works out.

Sid Post 06-25-2020 12:11 AM

I hope to see you again this Fall but, I totally understand the caution and waiting. With Texas Coronavirus cases spiking right now, who knows what things will look like in a month or two. I'm hopeful the younger folks will tone things down a bit until the worst of this passes but, we all remember feeling bulletproof when younger don't we! :wink:

ronbrad62 06-25-2020 10:43 AM

I have already been checking flights and hotels and the like, so as long as there are no restrictions, I am planning on being there. I can't wait to meet some of my Texas brethren.

Blythewood BBQ'er 06-25-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Post (Post 4338971)
I hope to see you again this Fall but, I totally understand the caution and waiting. With Texas Coronavirus cases spiking right now, who knows what things will look like in a month or two. I'm hopeful the younger folks will tone things down a bit until the worst of this passes but, we all remember feeling bulletproof when younger don't we! :wink:

Yeah Sid same here with the spikes. Went from under 100 new cases a day to over 1000 almost overnight. Work tested me last week and doing rolling department test daily. Hate to be so up in the air but it is what it is. In regards to the bulletproof comment I still believe I'm bullet proof but my body knows I'm not!

Anyway thanks for understanding everyone. I'll keep y'all posted!

chambersuac 06-25-2020 06:20 PM

Dennis, I hope you can make it. I hope to be there, too, in hopes of meeting Wendy. (That’s you wife, right?) :)

Blythewood BBQ'er 06-25-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chambersuac (Post 4339252)
Dennis, I hope you can make it. I hope to be there, too, in hopes of meeting Wendy. (Thatís you wife, right?) :)

Yep! I make her look pretty! Hate she didn't actually make it to the site last time. I really hope we come, the new rv was decided on for longer trips. I would hate to wait til next year.

pjtexas1 06-25-2020 07:51 PM

That's why we invite Dennis. He makes us all look prettier!

Lighter-Fluid 06-25-2020 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4339306)
That's why we invite Dennis. He makes us all look prettier!

Then why am I invited?

pjtexas1 06-25-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lighter-Fluid (Post 4339328)
Then why am I invited?

Somebody invited you? [emoji33]

pjtexas1 06-25-2020 10:25 PM

https://youtu.be/uvgi7P97lu0

chambersuac 06-25-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lighter-Fluid (Post 4339328)
Then why am I invited?

To make the others look smarter???

Iím kidding. Just kidding

Bill-Chicago 06-26-2020 03:09 AM

Um, not to pick nits, but....

The Spring Bash was cancelled.

All this blathering should be in the FALL 2020 thread.

Just saying

pjtexas1 06-26-2020 07:57 AM

^^^ we lazy!