The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Vac sealing and transporting (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82071)

sincitydisciple01 04-07-2010 09:01 AM

Vac sealing and transporting

If I vac seal some brisket, how long could it last w/o refrigeration? I live in KC and trying to get some UDS brisket to some KC transplants living in San Diego. Will it survive the plane trip? Or do I need to pack in dry ice? thanks!!

Bbq Bubba 04-07-2010 09:04 AM

Vac sealing does not take the place of refrigeration.

You'll have to pack it in ice.
Good luck with getting that on a plane.

dswfondy 04-07-2010 10:17 AM

Vac seal and send overnight ups or fedex, with dry-ice. The best and only way so no one gets sick

Smoke & Beers 04-07-2010 10:32 AM

A guy I work with...his wife works at a hospital and she has an endless supply of heavy duty styro-foam coolers that they receive medicine in. Apparently they do not recycle them and usually end up just throwing them away...
I use them all the time to rest meats and to ship Que to friends and family all the time. If you know anyone in an oncology dept somewhere...you might want to check it out and see if they have any coolers to give away...
Oh, and I usually bring them some Que in exchange...they really like that :thumb:

PorkQPine 04-07-2010 10:38 AM

I cooked pork shoulders overnight, wrapped in plastic wrap, foil and towels then packed in a softsided cooler, drove to the airport and flew to L.A. in time to serve lunch to my L.A. office. I checked the cooler with a note that it contained hot food and if a baggage handler 'lost' it there would be hell to pay. It was still very hot and lunch was great.

pahutchens 04-07-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkQPine (Post 1242551)
I cooked pork shoulders overnight, wrapped in plastic wrap, foil and towels then packed in a softsided cooler, drove to the airport and flew to L.A. in time to serve lunch to my L.A. office. I checked the cooler with a note that it contained hot food and if a baggage handler 'lost' it there would be hell to pay. It was still very hot and lunch was great.

My kind of Boss :thumb:

I've used soft sided coolers and gel freezer packs for short trips inside my checked bags

Garth57 04-09-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sincitydisciple01 (Post 1242442)
If I vac seal some brisket, how long could it last w/o refrigeration? I live in KC and trying to get some UDS brisket to some KC transplants living in San Diego. Will it survive the plane trip? Or do I need to pack in dry ice? thanks!!

You could just have them drive 90 miles north on Saturdays to the Farmers Market I'm at in Corona!