pulled pork for 50

T

tennispro

I am cooking for my first large group this weekend. I was told it was going to be 50 people with most of them being a highschool football team.

I know people say you should plan 1 pound for every person. Should I plan for more seeing the group of people that will be eating??

Thanks for your help:thumb:

I've always allocated 1/4 pound per person. Remember, your pork cooked weight will be 1/2 or so of the original.

Being a high school football team you might want to plan closer to 1lb each but remember, only about 1/4 will fit on a bun. So that's 4 sandwiches per person.

Are you having sides too?

Are you going to have other food with the pulled pork? Normally, I figure 1/2 lb per person unless it is mixed men, women, children than 6 oz. per person. Depending what you're eating with the pulled pork, maybe closer to 3/4 lb per person.

I cooked last year for a party for the senior players of our high school football team. I cooked more thinking they would eat double and they actually about average of other events. I think 50-60lbs raw pork would do it but to be safe 75lbs should be plenty with leftovers.

I base my pork butt purchasing based on 1/2 lb per person...after smoking it will yield 1/4 - 1/3 lb per person depending on how fatty your butts are...:thumb:

Thanks for your help guys,
I will also be serving Pasta Salad, and Beans. I was told that the coach (brother inlaw) was going to take care of the chips and stuff like that.

I put an order in for a case of pork butts so I hope that will be enough:heh:

Well we are chugging away right now. I ended up going with on case of butts. It was 55 pounds.

They only thing I did not like is the butts were cut down into 3# chunks. I just hope that they don't cook to fast.

Here is how my day started.
100_2669.jpg

I spent half of last night pulling pork. It almost makes me not want to do it again.:wink:

I was not to happy with the butts before I started and I was even less happy when they were done. Because of the small size, they did not cook like I wanted. Half them were nice and the other half was tuff. I chopped the ones that were not as good. Taste was fine but just not my best.

I got a call this morning that the event was canceled because of storms in the area. So I had to hurry and pack all the meat into gallon bags and freeze. They is going to use it all later after a football game or practice.

But I do have about 10 pounds of pasta salad and all kinds of beans that I have to eat up now:twitch:

Back