Waygu?

jrbBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For those of you that order waygu, I have heard stories about people ordering them and geting ones with small flats. I personally like to look over as many as I can to find the thickest and most flexible ones. I'm gonna have the opportunity to order one for an upcoming contest, but I'm concerned about recieving an exceptional product without have the chance to look it over before purchase. I'm looking for one over 17#'s. Is there anyone with some pointers about ordering meat over the internet/phone.?

I don't do it because of the reason you mentioned above. You are only guaranteed a weight range and have no idea about the thickness of the flat. I would rather buy CAB or Choice briskets that I like and wet age them for 45-60 days.

I sell the wagyu from strube and there has been a run on them and a lot of companies are out and we have small ones now.

I sell the wagyu from strube and there has been a run on them and a lot of companies are out and we have small ones now.
Kinda what I'm afraid of. I know they are a Texas company and alot of cattle farms in Texas had problems because of the dry weather and t is right in the prime of competition BBQ season, which makes it a little tougher getting a good one. Is there anyway to insure getting a large one from strube, snake river, or even paradise meats (I know they don't raise them, just distribute)

I've never had one not be extremely flexible, but size is always a problem. The most major problem in my opinion is thickness of the flat. I have had very long and/or wide ones but the flat is still thin.

Good luck.

The price you pay for buying this brisket is generally a much thinner flat than most other breeds. You can get lucky and find one thicker on occasion but that's the way waygu beef is.

Haven't cooked a Wagyu all season...we're doin' just fine on Costco choice packers and flats...plus my wallet is a little fatter...:becky:

the last one i cooked had a flat that tapered to about 1/2 inch on one side, i ended up turning in my CAB.

so basically what I'm hearing is stick with the guy who lets me sort through 16 cases of choice angus instead of hoping I get a nice waygu over the phone.

In my experience, if you develop a relationship with one of the salespeople that you order your briskets form, they will look to make sure they are sending the brisket you are looking for. I give what I an specifically looking for and if they dont have one, they wont send it. Just my .02

guys it is a byproduct of the beef market brisket is an after thought. if the prices are high they slaughter sooner...if its low they hang on to them. The market was horrible last year and we started the year with HUGE briskets.

Sam's Club is just around the corner from somewhere! Ask the meat man and go dig around in cases, find exactly what your looking for

so basically what I'm hearing is stick with the guy who lets me sort through 16 cases of choice angus instead of hoping I get a nice waygu over the phone.
If I had somewhere to sort through 16 cases of CAB I'd be all kinds of silly actin. Like Sterling said Strube's have been getting smaller over the last month. I got a couple from Big Poppas 2 weeks ago that were around 12 lbs. I didn't want to unwrap them to early. I got nervous last Monday and ordered one from SRF. It was 16 lbs. BUT When I opened up one of the Strubes on Thurs night to trim, it had a pretty nice flat. I'll be using the other Strube this weekend.

We cooked a superior Angus from Rest Depot and won;t do that again as we did not see any difference between that and a WalMart Select. Been thinking aobut trying Wagyu but are just getting our recipe to a point we are happy with end result. IS the Wagyu a much different cook???

If I had somewhere to sort through 16 cases of CAB I'd be all kinds of silly actin.QUOTE] I just kinda stumbled onto this butcher shop/processor a few months ago. I called him everyone week for a month and a half when they were processing cattle to see if they had any prime graded meat. I finally just went over there (about 1 1/2 hour drive) and he pulled one of his employees to the side and told him to take on a tour of the place and told me he had a pallet of CAB briskets back there and told me I could go through all the cases if I needed to find what I was looking for. I think I'm just gonna stick with what I can see and feel if I'm gonna cook it for a contest. Besides that, it was my first trip over there and he treated me like I'd been a customer with them for years.

Back