The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   How to make a lot of Pulled Pork Sandwiches (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166444)

bbqdavarrow 07-21-2013 06:52 AM

How to make a lot of Pulled Pork Sandwiches

I have a chance to do a big event selling pulled pork sandwiches. the event is in October, I am thinking of starting to make the pulled pork and freeze it until the day of the event. Any suggestions/tips on what to do and what not to do would be appreciated.

Pyle's BBQ 07-21-2013 05:43 PM

Check your local HD rules on selling. Does it have to be prepared in a commercial kitchen? How will you be reheating, holding, serving and what will you do with the leftovers?

IamMadMan 07-21-2013 07:48 PM

Many states like New Jersey prohibits you from preparing food at home or simular environment and selling it to the public.

Food has to be prepared in an inspected / approved commercial kitchen or food truck / cart. Inspection certificates are issued by your local Health / Food inspectors.

mikeleonard81 07-21-2013 08:03 PM

Ohio says all food to be sold must be prepared at the event. Absolutly no cooking from home.

landarc 07-21-2013 08:18 PM

What Bryan said first off.

Second off, if what you mean if like 'I have a chance to vend a 5000 person festival, and I own a UDS'. You are not thinking this out very well. You need to have the right tools for the job.

BigBellyBBQ 07-22-2013 05:06 AM

when I do bigger events I cook before, up here we can cook offsite (trailer is hd licensed) warm at the site and serve...

beer and bbq 07-23-2013 07:51 AM

I would not freeze the meat then try to reheat. By the time the meat thaws and reheats to proper serving temp you can just cook fresh. You can have some meat done early and hold over wrapped in a well insulated cooler to be served later while you throw more meat on. But diffently check with your local health dept for regulations.

Bbq Bubba 07-24-2013 07:35 AM

Nice job guys....ran him off? Lol

acguy 07-24-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 2562991)
Nice job guys....ran him off? Lol

Wow! No kidding!! The OP never said anything about cooking at home or what he has for equipment. He simply asked for tips on how to cook in advance. Lighten up people.

BBQdavarrow: It would be helpful to know how far in advance; a day or two or are you talking a week or two?

gtr 07-24-2013 10:18 AM

I can't speak to laws, regs, and all that, but I can tell you what I do for larger servings. I do fundraising cooks at my kids' school, teacher lunches, etc. I pre-cook the weekend before (this is pulled pork btw), get it cooled, vac-sealed and frozen, and boil in the bag on site. I'll do lots of 3# bags, then I'll have a couple 2# & 1# bags for towards the end of the event. This works really well for me.

If I were selling commercially, I think I'd want to cook fresh, but I can't say for sure without being in that situation. I do know that a big draw for selling BBQ is a smoker puffing out delicious smelling smoke - I cook MOINKs on site to get that smell in the air, and it does seem to draw 'em in.

luke duke 07-24-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acguy (Post 2563138)
Wow! No kidding!! The OP never said anything about cooking at home or what he has for equipment. He simply asked for tips on how to cook in advance. Lighten up people.

BBQdavarrow: It would be helpful to know how far in advance; a day or two or are you talking a week or two?

Sounds like he wants to cook 3 months in advance. And sell it. :crazy:

Countryboyswagger 07-31-2013 02:59 PM

Pretty new here and still learning the lingo but uh... What is a MOINK?

Nevermind, just searched it.

TailGateJoecom 07-31-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtr (Post 2563217)
I can't speak to laws, regs, and all that, but I can tell you what I do for larger servings. I do fundraising cooks at my kids' school, teacher lunches, etc. I pre-cook the weekend before (this is pulled pork btw), get it cooled, vac-sealed and frozen, and boil in the bag on site. I'll do lots of 3# bags, then I'll have a couple 2# & 1# bags for towards the end of the event. This works really well for me.

If I were selling commercially, I think I'd want to cook fresh, but I can't say for sure without being in that situation. I do know that a big draw for selling BBQ is a smoker puffing out delicious smelling smoke - I cook MOINKs on site to get that smell in the air, and it does seem to draw 'em in.

Smoking moinks to get the smell going is a great idea! Gonna have to remember that one. Thanks:wink:

coondogbbq 07-31-2013 03:50 PM

What's a moink?

gtr 07-31-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coondogbbq (Post 2572421)
What's a moink?

Bacon wrapped meatball (traditionally store bought frozen beef meatballs). Rubbed, smoked and glazed - people love 'em! Traditionally spelled in all caps as well.

Lots of info about them on this site.