The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   How to cook lots of Baked Beans (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59061)

cfbeagle 03-27-2009 12:12 PM

How to cook lots of Baked Beans

I would be interested in how you bake large quantities of beans. Such as 2 to 5 gallons.

I am researching opening a roadside BBQ stand. Seems that the HD requirements are not to difficult here in MS. I begin with something simple like Pork Sammies and potato chips.

I would like to also serve baked beans so that brings me to the question how do you cook them efficiently?

Thanks
Blake

Jacked UP BBQ 03-27-2009 12:15 PM

Buy #10 cans premade.

The Anchorman 03-27-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS (Post 887616)
Buy #10 cans premade.

R U Serious:eek:

Beans are the easiest thing to make. Where do you think the expression "You don't know beans" came from?

The Anchorman's Bacon Boston Baked Beans

3 # dry beans power soaked (boil 1 1/2 gal of H20, put in dry beans soak for 1 hour)
1 pound bacon cut into small pieces
1 Large Spanish Onion medium diced
2 ounces mustard prepared and your choice
1 12 ounce jar of mollasses
1 1/2 cup brown sugar light or dark your choice
Salt and pepper to taste

cook bacon until almost crisp
add diced onion, cook until desired doneness

add all ingredients into a 2 gallon bean pot

cover with enough water to cover by an inch

place in 350 degree oven for aprox 5 hours

should be just right Yield about 2 gallons

I just made enough for 100 people, they freeze well just defrost them under refridgeration for a couple of days. Do Not heat them from a frozen state they will turn into mush.

Jacked UP BBQ 03-27-2009 02:16 PM

I am very serious. Making a simple thing like baked beans is a waste of time imo. You can get store purchased and add to them if you want. They are way to cheap to buy, why make them? Concentrate on the important things.

The Anchorman 03-27-2009 02:24 PM

well cfbeagle you can do what you want. if you want to cook like they do in New Jersey thats well and good. It probably is ok to have your product taste like all the rest of the canned beans. Heck lots of succesful restaurants and cafeterias do that all the time. If you are concerned about what goes into your product and you want be able to say that you made them and mean it, then hand made is always the way to go.

You will hear both sides of the story on this one.

Heck nobody has to know how to cook anymore, you just have to know how to order...

Jacked UP BBQ 03-27-2009 03:02 PM

One thing I can do is cook, there is no question about that. Actually, probably better than you!!!!! Work smarter not harder. I know you make all of your sauces and rubs for competition too.

The Anchorman 03-27-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS (Post 887757)
One thing I can do is cook, there is no question about that. Actually, probably better than you!!!!! Work smarter not harder. I know you make all of your sauces and rubs for competition too.

wow that is one trash talking som' bitch.
who are you?
do I know you? Really?

Jacked UP BBQ 03-27-2009 03:15 PM

Not trash talking, just speaking the truth. Not sure if you know me, I know me, and I am a hell of a guy.

The Anchorman 03-27-2009 03:20 PM

have we ever competed against each other?
I'm sorry if this is a run away thread, maybe we should take this into a private message.

cfbeagle 03-27-2009 03:22 PM

What a deal, my second post and I stir up a fight.:eek:

What I am really asking is what sort of pot or cooking apparatus is used to get 5 gallons of beans baked and ready to serve. Do you bake them a gallon at a time, ahead of time and freeze? Or do you have a way of baking them all at once just in time for dinner?

PS I make mine. Not the canned ones.

ASUBBQ 03-27-2009 03:29 PM

Baked Beans

Thanks for taking the time to post your recipe Ray, I for one would rather cook my own vs doctoring up canned beans!

Thanks again!

The Anchorman 03-27-2009 03:42 PM

[QUOTE=cfbeagle;887780]What a deal, my second post and I stir up a fight.:eek:

LOL

Smack Talk over Beans

I make them at home with one batch at a time, or at work two batches at a time. I just use covered stainless steel brasiers.

Divemaster 03-27-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Anchorman (Post 887715)
well cfbeagle you can do what you want. if you want to cook like they do in New Jersey thats well and good. It probably is ok to have your product taste like all the rest of the canned beans. Heck lots of succesful restaurants and cafeterias do that all the time. If you are concerned about what goes into your product and you want be able to say that you made them and mean it, then hand made is always the way to go.

You will hear both sides of the story on this one.

Heck nobody has to know how to cook anymore, you just have to know how to order...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS (Post 887707)
I am very serious. Making a simple thing like baked beans is a waste of time imo. You can get store purchased and add to them if you want. They are way to cheap to buy, why make them? Concentrate on the important things.

Guys, let's relax... I've done it both ways, in fact they are both on my menu...
Quote:

No one is saying you can't cook... I agree, I much prefer to work smarter than harder, but if my customer wants the 'Real' baked beans, he also knows that I'm going to charge for them.

Divemaster 03-27-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfbeagle (Post 887780)
What a deal, my second post and I stir up a fight.:eek:

What I am really asking is what sort of pot or cooking apparatus is used to get 5 gallons of beans baked and ready to serve. Do you bake them a gallon at a time, ahead of time and freeze? Or do you have a way of baking them all at once just in time for dinner?

PS I make mine. Not the canned ones.

A big one....

BBQchef33 03-27-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

ADMIN NOTE.

WTF??

lighten up, or Logout.