The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Restaurant depot recommendations? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159246)

Trumpstylz 04-22-2013 05:19 AM

Restaurant depot recommendations?

I'm going to the Chicago location later today and was wondering what everyone recommends picking up. Que or non-que related.

Untraceable 04-22-2013 06:21 AM

Bring cash lol

shirknwrk 04-22-2013 08:00 AM

They usually have a good price on 15 lb. bags of Royal Oak lump...

Crimson 04-22-2013 08:10 AM

Down load the monthly flyer.
Just put in your state and location.
And money
http://www.restaurantdepot.com/flyers

Wampus 04-22-2013 08:18 AM

Some of my regular purchases there include:

*5 lb bags of mozzarella cheese (which I then portion into 1-2 lb portions and vacuum seal & freeze for later) -- It's CHEAP there!

*Royal Oak Lump Charcoal - I think I pay just under $10 for a 18 lb BIG bag

*10 lb boxes of bacon is pretty cheap....portion, vacuum seal and freeze

*40 lb boxes of Jumbo chicken wings are dirt cheap there. LOTS, but again....portion and freeze.

*Full and half foil pans

*HD Foil

*Latex gloves

Then there's the ribs, butts, briskets, beef chuck ribs, and on and on and on.....

Yeah, as said....bring lots of cash or the checkbook. It's not difficult to get carried away.

DO NOT FORGET YOUR COOLERS!!!!!

Ron_L 04-22-2013 08:54 AM

Tritip if they have them! They are typically 4-5 to a cryovac. I break it down when I get home and vacusuck them individually and freeze.

htrisna 04-22-2013 09:14 AM

Do they have choice or CAB Tritips there? The case I bought there a couple of month ago turns out were select. Boy can I taste the difference compared to the choice ones I got from Cosco.

Now I've been cooking a lot of Pot Roasts to go through that case.

Ron_L 04-22-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htrisna (Post 2456388)
Do they have choice or CAB Tritips there? The case I bought there a couple of month ago turns out were select. Boy can I taste the difference compared to the choice ones I got from Cosco.

Now I've been cooking a lot of Pot Roasts to go through that case.

I've only seen choice, but each RD district can have different stuff. The choice ones from RD are very good.

NeoTrout 04-22-2013 09:49 AM

Go across the street from the RD.
Berger Brothers Charcoal Supply Co.
1186 N Cherry Ave, Chicago, IL
40Lb. bags of NatureGlo Lump for $21. :cool:

Bob in St. Louis 04-22-2013 09:52 AM

It's a shame you have to be a business. :(

Crimson 04-22-2013 10:01 AM

Or if you have a kcbs Membership you get day passes.

stl-rich 04-22-2013 10:16 AM

There is talk that being a Brethren will get you in but so far it is just talk :oops:

Johnny Ca$h 04-22-2013 10:37 AM

Like Untraceable said PAY WITH CA$H ONLY thay have a security issue with credit cards.
It helps me shop there if i have a calculator to see the piece price and or the price per pound as I don't buy cases often.
Take a jacket or sweatshirt at lease that cooler gets cold!

Subzerogriller 04-22-2013 10:49 AM

I just want to second what Wampus said about bringing coolers. This can't be stressed enough. I completely forgot mine the first time I went to RD; fortunately, I was only shopping for a weekend cookout and it was 20 degrees outside, so was able to throw my ribs into an insulated bag I had in the back of my pickup, but for the trips I've made since, I would have been in an awful mess if I hadn't tossed a cooler or two in the back.

ButtBurner 04-22-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subzerogriller (Post 2456546)
I just want to second what Wampus said about bringing coolers. This can't be stressed enough. I completely forgot mine the first time I went to RD; fortunately, I was only shopping for a weekend cookout and it was 20 degrees outside, so was able to throw my ribs into an insulated bag I had in the back of my pickup, but for the trips I've made since, I would have been in an awful mess if I hadn't tossed a cooler or two in the back.

The RD I go to has insulated carry bags and an ice chest with ice bags in it in the front outside of the store to use for free.

I am not exactly how this works though