The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Another sauce thread - Curley's (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111378)

Golfshrink 07-15-2011 06:19 PM

Another sauce thread - Curley's

As a long time "lurker" on this site, I know that another sauce thread isn't probably necessary, but I'm curious if anyone has opinions on Curley's Famous BBQ sauce? I grew up on this stuff as it was made in my tiny hometown (Little River, KS) in the 70's. At some point it was bought out and they moved the manufacturing to Hutchinson, KS where it is still made. I remember when I was young that the whole town smelled like Curley's on days they were cooking the stuff.

This sauce is my kids' favorite on anything, and remains one of mine for beef. I think it is too rich and dark for pork but when I was younger, I ate it on everything too. The thought of pork burgers with Curley's makes my mouth water even today.

These days, i tend to like my sauces a little more spicy and less sweet. My current favorite all around store-bought is Head Country but I tend to make my own most of the time. I like BH Tennessee Red on pulled pork. I like Big John's Ol West or BH original on ribs, both with a touch of Famous Daves Wilbur's Revenge to kick up the heat.

Anyone with thoughts on Curley's?

aquablue22 07-15-2011 07:21 PM

Never heard of Curley's, I think sauces go as your taste goes, sometimes I like sweet, sometimes I like Carolina style and so on and then again I don't use a lot of sauce. I like meat flavored well and smoked to perfection.

PimpSmoke 07-15-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfshrink (Post 1711674)
As a long time "lurker" on this site, I know that another sauce thread isn't probably necessary, but I'm curious if anyone has opinions on Curley's Famous BBQ sauce? I grew up on this stuff as it was made in my tiny hometown (Little River, KS) in the 70's. At some point it was bought out and they moved the manufacturing to Hutchinson, KS where it is still made. I remember when I was young that the whole town smelled like Curley's on days they were cooking the stuff.

This sauce is my kids' favorite on anything, and remains one of mine for beef. I think it is too rich and dark for pork but when I was younger, I ate it on everything too. The thought of pork burgers with Curley's makes my mouth water even today.

These days, i tend to like my sauces a little more spicy and less sweet. My current favorite all around store-bought is Head Country but I tend to make my own most of the time. I like BH Tennessee Red on pulled pork. I like Big John's Ol West or BH original on ribs, both with a touch of Famous Daves Wilbur's Revenge to kick up the heat.

Anyone with thoughts on Curley's?

Looks to me like Curley's has been contract made since 1987 by CHS foods. If like beer, the name was bought, I can't find any ingredient information on the site.

The CHS site

JS-TX 07-15-2011 11:20 PM

I tried some about a year ago, it's not bad. It's a little dark and thick but has good overall flavor.

tmehlhorn 07-15-2011 11:27 PM

Hello fellow kansan, from pratt here. I like curleys also. Yes it is a bit thick, and sorta smokey. I like the thickness because it goes on well and stays there.

Golfshrink 07-15-2011 11:39 PM

The ingredients listed on the Curley's jug I've got: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Sugar, Vinegar, Natural Hickory Smoke, Salt, Dehydrated Garlic, Spices, Dehyrated Onion.

Looks pretty standard for BBQ sauce in the neck of the woods. The original flavor has a smokey flavor and I think a hint of celery and cumin that isn't typical. It's also a touch thinner than some of the dark sauces like kc masterpiece, SBR, etc. Maybe like a darker, sweeter, version of Gates (???). I've never tried any of the other flavors of Curley's but want to give the Spicy a go sometime.

Golfshrink 07-16-2011 12:20 PM

Unrelated to the Curleys topic...but...another sauce I like but only recently discovered is called Wilbur's Revenge. It's not really a BBQ sauce as much as it's a hot sauce with BBQ undertones. It is perfect to add a little to other sauces to kick up the heat and good when used in moderation on things like eggs, potatoes, ribs, wings, etc. I've not tried any of famous daves other bottled sauces but I really like the unique hot sauce flavor profile of Wilbur's Revenge.

GorillaCop 07-16-2011 04:35 PM

Curley's Original is an EXCELLENT sauce! I like to mix it about 2 to 1 with Sweet Baby Ray's....good stuff! BTW...my mom's family is from Little River....used to go there alot when I was a kid. Cool little town!

Golfshrink 07-16-2011 11:22 PM

I've mixed Curley's with sauces with a little more bite, like some pig pucker sauce I made that is very similar to BH Tennessee Red and a little Wilbur's Revenge for heat. If you're ever in Little River, they've got a little market on main street called the Garden of Eden that has an impressive selection of sauces and rubs. Their meat selection is top notch too.