UDS Back from the sandblaster....

Bigbux58

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello all, newb to the max here. Just got the uds back from the sandblaster. And I was wondering.... Do I need to prime it? I plan on using high temp paint or engine paint... Thanks in advance..

Not sure how well it works as I'm in the process of building my UDS. But I just primed my Weber lid with the VHT Flame Proof primer from AutoZone. I scuffed the lid with my angle grinder and a wire wheel. I tried a bunch of stuff to try and get the porcelain coating off and it wouldn't budge. We'll see what happens. Painting will only be as good as your prep work. Here is a pic of it all primed.

DSC01117_zpsc1ad6fe0.jpg

Chad

Not sure how well it works as I'm in the process of building my UDS. But I just primed my Weber lid with the VHT Flame Proof primer from AutoZone. I scuffed the lid with my angle grinder and a wire wheel. I tried a bunch of stuff to try and get the porcelain coating off and it wouldn't budge. We'll see what happens. Painting will only be as good as your prep work. Here is a pic of it all primed.

DSC01117_zpsc1ad6fe0.jpg

Chad

Did you use a spray primer?

Did you use a spray primer?

Normally I would have used an HVLP gun but trying to keep this build on a budget and the VHT was readily available in a spray can. A little trick I learned from painting with spray paint in cooler temps is to heat up the can on one of those cheap coffee cup warmers. Warm paint atomizes better thus, covering more evenly with less splatter.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/

Of course after reading the product page above, I'm not sure how well it's going to hold up. I might try and figure out away to heat it up tomorrow.

Chad

Back