Bacon Weave

NorthwestBBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Can someone here please explain to me how to do the bacon weave? :?:

Thanks Hugh. So you have to thread each piece under and over the next one like you were sewing?

Those tutorials seem too complicated to me. I'll try to explain without the advantage of video:
lay five strips of bacon side-by-side (think of them as 1-5)
Fold 2 and 4 halfway back (in half, essentially)
Lay a strip of bacon across 1, 3, and 5 and return 2 and 4 to the starting position.
Fold 1, 3, and 5 halfway back and lay a strip of bacon across 2 and 4 and return 1, 3 and 5.
Repeat until you have a 5 x 5 weave. Hope that makes sense.

Those tutorials seem too complicated to me. I'll try to explain without the advantage of video:
lay five strips of bacon side-by-side (think of them as 1-5)
Fold 2 and 4 halfway back (in half, essentially)
Lay a strip of bacon across 1, 3, and 5 and return 2 and 4 to the starting position.
Fold 1, 3, and 5 halfway back and lay a strip of bacon across 2 and 4 and return 1, 3 and 5.
Repeat until you have a 5 x 5 weave. Hope that makes sense.

Nice explanation! It isn't threading the bacon through, it's more of a lift and tuck process.

I just gave a pound of bacon to the wife and said weave it like a basket! She's great at artsy stuff. I wouldn't even try.

3995692832_0f809946a7.jpg

Nice explanation! It isn't threading the bacon through, it's more of a lift and tuck process.

You wouldn't actually be threading the bacon strips--by folding back strips you'd be laying a horizontal slice on top of alternating vertical slices. I guess I could have been a little more clear...you'd be starting with the center horizontal slice and continuing two above and two below for a 5 x 5 weave. For example, using the photo above, assume the hand is on slice 4. You would fold slice 2 and 4 back up toward the sausage package and then lay a slice across 1, 3, and 5. When you return 2 and 4 to their position, you have "threaded" a slice without the hassle of actually threading. Repeat the process by folding 1, 3, and 5 up toward the sausage package and laying a slice across 2 and 4.
It's a lot simpler to do than explain :)

Thick cut works best, too. You get the thin stuff and it tears or stretches when you move the finished weave.

My favorite thing to do with woven pig is to drape it in a small Pyrex bowl and bake it, then fill the 'bacon bowl' with breafuss!

Thick cut works best, too. You get the thin stuff and it tears or stretches when you move the finished weave.

My favorite thing to do with woven pig is to drape it in a small Pyrex bowl and bake it, then fill the 'bacon bowl' with breafuss!

I shoulda mentioned that too, I wouldn't attempt to do a weave without using thick cut bacon. Tried that once--it was a disaster.
Have you tried inverting the bowl and baking the weave "on" the bowl instead of "in" the bowl? Seems to me it would hold its shape better and would allow the fat to roll away.

I shoulda mentioned that too, I wouldn't attempt to do a weave without using thick cut bacon. Tried that once--it was a disaster.
Have you tried inverting the bowl and baking the weave "on" the bowl instead of "in" the bowl? Seems to me it would hold its shape better and would allow the fat to roll away.
I didn't have trouble using regular cut, but it was time consuming to get it to look right. Hey, my Gramma lived in Dania!

Actually, I have, yeah! COFFEE LOW indicator light was on this morning so I forgot to mention that method - which is the way to do it.

Thanks for the catch!

Arlin

Ladies and gentleman, I thank you all. I think QuietOne's video nailed it...:-D

Back