The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   2 day vending permit (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80549)

grillfella 03-17-2010 02:32 AM

2 day vending permit

Just purchased a 2 day vending permit to do tri-tip sandwiches at a city carnival and car show in a couple months. I was told the health dept always shows up at these types of events. The city is supplying electrical outlet with generator, vending tent with window and plywood flooring. They were not requiring a sink, which is what I thought you needed. Anyways seeing that the HD inspector will be there what should I look out for in terms of violations.

thanks Bill D:-D

tmcmaster 03-17-2010 03:41 AM

make sure you have your water and LOTS of sanitizer.

PCDoctor_1979 03-17-2010 06:32 AM

What the festival organizers require and what the HD is looking for could be two very different things. For a multiple day event in Iowa, it's my understanding that you must have hot & cold running water under pressure available as well as the triple sink. I'm just now working on getting my mobile rig certified so I've been reading the rules pretty closely. Check with the HD out there in CA. Each state is different.

Bbq Bubba 03-17-2010 07:36 AM

You'll still need to secure a HD permit to vend.

Ford 03-17-2010 07:56 AM

Hopefully some CA vendors can chime in today and help you. This is so state specific. However I've studied a number of states and it seems a triple sink is required for every one plus hand sink. That can be bus tubs in some and a turkey fryer for hot water. Also cooling and heating is an issue. Most require commercial refrigeration unless you bring fresh meat in a cooler that goes on the cooker immediately (all of it) and is held hot in chaffers.

You will need an HD permit and you will be inspected. Some states require food handling permits for staff or at least 1 staff member.

Call the HD today and start asking questions. It takes people days to months to get approved for vending.

big brother smoke 03-17-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford (Post 1217734)
Hopefully some CA vendors can chime in today and help you. This is so state specific. However I've studied a number of states and it seems a triple sink is required for every one plus hand sink. That can be bus tubs in some and a turkey fryer for hot water. Also cooling and heating is an issue. Most require commercial refrigeration unless you bring fresh meat in a cooler that goes on the cooker immediately (all of it) and is held hot in chaffers.

You will need an HD permit and you will be inspected. Some states require food handling permits for staff or at least 1 staff member.

Call the HD today and start asking questions. It takes people days to months to get approved for vending.

Off the top of my head before heading to work, beyond what has already been listed:

Hot box off the ground 6"
probes/probe wipes
bleach with test strips
hot H20 minimally 120*

C Rocke 03-17-2010 09:59 AM

Bill,

I'd call the HD - You will need a permit from them. Any event more than one day usually requires a 3 comp sink in LA or Orange County. Your prep/serving area will need to be enclosed on all 4 sides. Everything 6 in off the ground. Nothing cooked or prepped offsite, unless you can show a commercial kitchen location. Thermometer, etc, etc like BBS said.

grillfella 03-17-2010 12:00 PM

Thanks boys, I got the permit and the city is letting us use an enclosed 4 wall serving tent. Will see if sink is an issue will let you guys know thanks everyone

Jerk Pit Master 03-17-2010 11:10 PM

HD should have a check list. They will charge your for the HD permit upon inspection.

May be able to get away with just a handwash station if you are using disposables and have sufficient utensils, knives, cutting boards, etc, to switch out every 4 hours.

grillfella 03-18-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerk Pit Master (Post 1218438)
HD should have a check list. They will charge your for the HD permit upon inspection.

May be able to get away with just a handwash station if you are using disposables and have sufficient utensils, knives, cutting boards, etc, to switch out every 4 hours.

They gave me a list of what I have to supply, no sink or handwash station. My permit is still in the process of being reviewed. Other restaurants such as Bj's brewhouse, and macaroni grill will also be at the event, as well as hawaian shaved ice and a variety of asian kebab places.

life like a Buffett song 03-18-2010 04:59 PM

Bill,

Orange County, L.A. County, Pasadena, Long Beach, San Diego County, All require a 3 comp. sink with hot and cold running water for vending. Riverside and San Bernardino Allow Buss pans. (most of the shows I am doing the promoter provides or charges you a fee to provide the sink)

There are a few party rental companies that rent sinks. If there is other vendors doing the event contact them and split the rental. The code reads something like 1 sink with hot and cold running water for up to 4 vendors.

The other things they WILL BE LOOKING FOR. Food service screens all 4 sides, tarps under the serving area and cooking area. Everything related to food service has to be 6" off the ground, Hand wash station in booth (must have valve that stays on) buckets in the booth for rinse, wash and sanitize. Test strips for the sanitizing solution gloves and hairnets or caps are a must. Table covers that are disposable are a good thing to have if your tables are stained. Thermometers for food prep and for Ice chests

What ever you do, do not show up with food that you cooked or prepared at home. That is a NO NO!!!! Will get you shut down by some Health inspectors.

I am sure there is more I am not thinking of right now. I will post more as I think of it.

Congratulations on jumping in to the vending. It took my wife and I a decade to get the courage to do it. Then we bought a established business that came with training and ongoing support of the past owner. We are currently online for 6 events over the next 10 weeks. the past owner was doing up to 29 events a year. Also If you are going to do more than a few events a year, Take a food mangers class like servsafe or premier (premier costs less) Heath inspectors will have more respect for you if you can demonstrate you are serious about food service. I always note that I am a certified food service manager on the health application and list my number and expiration date. I feel it gives me a advantage as they look less at my booth and more at the booth of people who are not as serious about the vending business.

If you stay at it the biggest piece of advice I can give you is do your home work. Some events are expensive to get in to and the promoters tend to lie about the number of people and the exclusivity you may have for a type of product.

Drop me a note off line and I will give you my number if you have relay specific questions

Bill P

grillfella 03-18-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by life like a Buffett song (Post 1219189)
Bill,

Orange County, L.A. County, Pasadena, Long Beach, San Diego County, All require a 3 comp. sink with hot and cold running water for vending. Riverside and San Bernardino Allow Buss pans. (most of the shows I am doing the promoter provides or charges you a fee to provide the sink)

There are a few party rental companies that rent sinks. If there is other vendors doing the event contact them and split the rental. The code reads something like 1 sink with hot and cold running water for up to 4 vendors.

The other things they WILL BE LOOKING FOR. Food service screens all 4 sides, tarps under the serving area and cooking area. Everything related to food service has to be 6" off the ground, Hand wash station in booth (must have valve that stays on) buckets in the booth for rinse, wash and sanitize. Test strips for the sanitizing solution gloves and hairnets or caps are a must. Table covers that are disposable are a good thing to have if your tables are stained. Thermometers for food prep and for Ice chests

What ever you do, do not show up with food that you cooked or prepared at home. That is a NO NO!!!! Will get you shut down by some Health inspectors.

I am sure there is more I am not thinking of right now. I will post more as I think of it.

Congratulations on jumping in to the vending. It took my wife and I a decade to get the courage to do it. Then we bought a established business that came with training and ongoing support of the past owner. We are currently online for 6 events over the next 10 weeks. the past owner was doing up to 29 events a year. Also If you are going to do more than a few events a year, Take a food mangers class like servsafe or premier (premier costs less) Heath inspectors will have more respect for you if you can demonstrate you are serious about food service. I always note that I am a certified food service manager on the health application and list my number and expiration date. I feel it gives me a advantage as they look less at my booth and more at the booth of people who are not as serious about the vending business.

If you stay at it the biggest piece of advice I can give you is do your home work. Some events are expensive to get in to and the promoters tend to lie about the number of people and the exclusivity you may have for a type of product.

Drop me a note off line and I will give you my number if you have relay specific questions

Bill P

Thanks Bill will do. A lot of things are a factor in this vending business, We mostly do catering and just getting our feet wet right now. The cost of the HD permit was $166.00 for two days, and still waiting to hear back from HD on what else I will need luckiley the promoters are supplying food tent and plywood flooring. Will keep you posted:-D

life like a Buffett song 03-18-2010 10:11 PM

Since I made the first post I thought of a couple more things that I wish some had told me.

The first is Insurance. Every event requires you to be insured if they are not asking for proof still get it. My CPA and attorney also made me do a LLC . They both said the same thing. Basically if you have a lot that you have worked for you do not want some guy claiming he got sick form your food to try and take it.

The second is in Southern California, Long Beach Health Department offers a free class once a month on TFF (Temporary Food Facility) compliance.

Bill

grillfella 03-20-2010 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by life like a Buffett song (Post 1219549)
Since I made the first post I thought of a couple more things that I wish some had told me.

The first is Insurance. Every event requires you to be insured if they are not asking for proof still get it. My CPA and attorney also made me do a LLC . They both said the same thing. Basically if you have a lot that you have worked for you do not want some guy claiming he got sick form your food to try and take it.

The second is in Southern California, Long Beach Health Department offers a free class once a month on TFF (Temporary Food Facility) compliance.

Bill

thanks brother,I found out about the sink the event is providing sinks for all food vendors