Texas steak report

wbook01

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I had to visit El Paso for a couple of days, so I stopped for steaks at two locations that get a lot of publicity.

On Tuesday evening, I had a 24-ounce ribeye ($29) at the Big Texan in Amarillo. The restaurant was interesting, kitschy as h*ll. The steak was not so good. I gave it a 4 out of 10. Cooked medium-rare, my steak was dry and chewy. Most of its flavor came from the charred coating. Very little came from the beef itself. I wouldn't go back. Once was enough.

On Thursday evening, I had a 32-ounce porterhouse ($43) at Cattleman's Steakhouse in Fabens, Texas, a few miles east of El Paso. I gave it a 9 out of 10. My steak was delicious and perfectly cooked. The quality of the beef was so much better. I would go back in a heartbeat, if I didn't live 1,200 miles away. The price was amazingly reasonable, considering how much the restaurants up here in Missouri are getting for their beef meals.

Last edited:
Ate at the Big Texan some 2+ decades ago. It was only about 11:00am, so I passed on the challenge -- just wasn't hungry enough that early to eat 72oz and I'm not that crazy about sirloin. I did love the kitschy though. :thumb:

A young fellow, in his 20s, maybe, tried the challenge while I was there. He got a lot of cheers, and at the end he got a nice countdown from the crowd. But he couldn't finish his steak. I'd say he got about 2/3 of the way through it.

As chewy as my ribeye was, I can imagine that the sirloin is a lot of work to get through.

Back