The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Big Green Egg - advice PLEASE (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55375)

5-0 BBQ 10-29-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finney (Post 832795)
I'm still saying Primo!

Made in Atlanta, GA USA. (support American workers)

I agree, I Love Love Love my Oval XL. I just used mine tonight to cook 25 lbs of bottom round/PIT BEEF for a party and still had room on it.

Plus made in USA.
That is rare these days.

RedPig 10-29-2010 08:07 PM

I like the oval shape but how does it rate against BGE?

HawgNationBBQ 10-29-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thillin (Post 830937)
It's the most versatile cooker you'll have. High heat searing, low and slow, baking and pizzas. I use mine a couple of times a week. I havn't fired up my Klose in a year and the gasser has been used once(because the wife decided to grill asparagus). Get a large with plate setter and you can do just about anything. Add a BGE pizza stone when you can. ($50+/-). Decide if you want to build a table or buy a nest. Nest can be picked up used from people that end up buying or building a table. And it has a lifetime warranty. Longest cook i recorded was 26 hours on a single load of lump.(could've held more than I loaded.)

P.S. My kettle hasn't been fired up since I brought home the first egg. It's about to go on CL! And maybe the Weber gasser also.

What they ^^^^^^^^^^^^ all said. I had a large and upgraded to an XL. If you are cooking for friends and family the Large will be sufficient. It is the most versatile piece of BBQ equipment you will ever buy. It will last a lifetime unless you drop it. Just buy it.

isolated01 10-30-2010 05:10 PM

Love the EGG!!! I have a large and a mini. Still have water smokers, gassers and webers, have not used in a long time. This forum gets me thinking about them occasionally, but I just use what works best.

Soapm 10-30-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtfisher63 (Post 830941)
Show her this thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=RIBEYES

Youi just can't cook steaks on a Weber like an Egg, sorry.

Sure you can, just remove the smoking chamber and the grate sits on top the charcoals.

MoGreen 10-31-2010 02:16 AM

You guys are trying to convert me from being an anit-egghead!

MoGreen 10-31-2010 02:17 AM

Or maybe an anti-egghead...

MoGreen 10-31-2010 02:17 AM

I blame the scotch...

Soapm 10-31-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoGreen (Post 1445465)
Or maybe an anti-egghead...

As soon as they make one more manly looking I'm in. Until then my pride won't let me put my ribs in what looks like a kiln... :doh:

If I had the skills I would enclose a BGE in manly looking offset...

Brauma 10-31-2010 01:12 PM

Since I got my Large Egg my Weber has gotten really lonely. Sometimes I fire up the Kettle just because I feel sorry for it.

RedPig 10-31-2010 03:43 PM

Got my egg fired up now for 8 hours with 2 butts. Temp 162 right now. Have not opened the lid since start up. Gotta love the egg.

greg of the BGE 10-31-2010 03:48 PM

I justified mine with the savings I got from not eating out.

I bounced back and forth between the medium and the large, but as a wise person said, you'll never regret going with the larger one.

Steaks seared at 700+ and incredible over night low and slow cooks with no worries or hassles. Pizza oven, tandoori, regular oven, grill, smoker or whatever. It may not be a master of smoking, but it sure is the best jack of all trades there is imo.

RedPig 10-31-2010 04:06 PM

Overall, I would say a BGE is the best all around backyard smoker. It lacks in capacity, but for everyday use, it's hard to beat. Extremely versatile. And it's easy to clean too.

chikenskin 11-01-2010 02:06 PM

I bought a Large Green Egg this season and I love it. My only regret is that I wish I would have gone ahead and bit the bullit and bought the Extra Large.
I use it for all of my long cooks, pizza, grilling & dutch oven goodies. I put a Stoker on it but it does not really need it. It's almost like cheating. It makes the long cooks too easy.
I still use the Banderra for ribs and short cooks (6 hours and under).
The only thing I use the Weber Kettle for now is vegies and stuff when I need the extra capacity while I'm cooking in the Egg.

Ron_L 11-01-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike in Abita (Post 831063)
I wonder if picts work the same here as they do on the Egghead forum. Let's see.

Ummm... yes... they worked... Maybe too good. I just finished lunch and your pictures have my tummy grumbling and I am... http://www.totapo.com/wp-content/upl...8/07/drool.gif