The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Pro versus backyard (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75625)

Skidder 01-06-2010 08:54 PM

Pro versus backyard

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between pro bbq teams and so called backyard bbq teams in competition? Thanks.

stlgreg 01-06-2010 09:16 PM

generally money and the quality of competition

eagle697 01-06-2010 09:18 PM

Depends on the comp. Some comps use the same rules for both, the only real difference is the entry fee and the prizes ( backyard tends to be much smaller, if any cash prizes, generally trophies and bragging rights) Some comps have a smaller backyard cook with only two of the 4 comp meats or 1 meat and stew, etc. THere are many variations in what you cook in backyard, main difference i have seen is cost of entry fee, and prizes.

Just Smokin' Around 01-06-2010 09:18 PM

It depends on the contest, but, backyard will usually only cook 2 or 3 categories, generally chicken and ribs since they can be done in a single day. There may be a chef's choice mixed in there. Entry fee's are generally less as well as the payout.

BBQchef33 01-06-2010 11:17 PM

i think hes talking about the teams, not the contest.

Im not sure if this is factual, and anyone correct me if im wrong, but it was explained to me in a casual conversation that your considered "a pro" if you've gotten paid.. amateur/backyard if not. So that first walk where u get a check makes u a pro. I think this was in relation to the different competition 'series' that KCBS was offering. Pro, Competitor, Ironman, etc..

There was a real hot thread on this a while back. i will see if i can find it.

Dale in GA 01-07-2010 07:13 AM

I recently moved to Pro from Backyard. The major difference is $$ payout, entry fees, competition categories, and judging. For example, last year a Kenessaw Pigs & Peach Backyard had 3 categories (Shoulder, Ribs, and Chicken). Pro's also do brisket. BY and Pros have Any Thing But. There were roughly 50 pros and 40 BY competitors. All were judged per KCBS but Pro judges were all certified, BY mostly certified with some local celebs.

Backyard is good competition and offers a great way to learn some of the ropes from the Pros. Hope to see you on the BBQ trail.

Dale in GA 01-07-2010 07:15 AM

Just a clarification, most of the KCBS sanctioned events we've participated in also pay $$ for Backyard competitors but the payout is lower than Pro.

RubMeTender 01-07-2010 10:01 AM

Are there any clear rules on Backyard vs. Pro? I think once you start getting into sponsorship money that should pretty much end any backyard standing you have. I've never understood where the line is.

Podge 01-07-2010 10:05 AM

Backyard rules are usually left up to the organizer, but they model them sometimes to KCBS rules.

early mornin' smokin' 01-07-2010 10:06 AM

woohoo...im a farking pro!

TN_BBQ 01-07-2010 12:53 PM

Isn't it customary for a winning backyard team to be required to "graduate" to the pro division in upcoming events?

Bottom line, the backyard divisions are designed to be "simpler"

Podge 01-07-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN_BBQ (Post 1136947)
Isn't it customary for a winning backyard team to be required to "graduate" to the pro division in upcoming events?

Bottom line, the backyard divisions are designed to be "simpler"

These are solely my opinions, but if a team wants to eventually compete in the "pros", they should just suck it up and start there. I did, and learned a lot !.. If a team ain't sure how far they want to take this bbq hobby, then backyard is perfect for them. If a team does really well in a few competitions, then they should go to "pro" and never go back to backyard. Progressive steps, don't go backwards.

chopshop 01-07-2010 01:42 PM

backyard teams are not required to use 22 pounds of sugar on their ribs

Divemaster 01-07-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopshop (Post 1137004)

Exactly... Goes with the lighter judging....

Lake Dogs 01-07-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopshop (Post 1137004)

HOWEVER, they are required to drink the 22lbs of sugars...