Fencing/roping off your space

ramtuf6

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Any ideas or suggestions for some simple, inexpensive (highly portable) way of fencing off your team bbq site? First trip to the Royal coming up. Never fenced in my space before.

Not gonna win ya any style points....but we used cheap plastic umbrella bases, with a round piece of wood, metal eyelet, and then rope. You could upscale it with plastic chain.

I'll note, we did this per an organizer's rules....and then never needed to use them. Live and learn I guess.

Pit bulls and Jorge.... I would of said rocket launcher, but dont want to insult Jorge.

I used old disc blades with a 1" rigid coupling welded in the center and 3/4" conduit slid into that. Yellow caution tape for the fence. I had a 20 x 75 corner spot and 4 of these worked great and they came apart to haul them.

You can get hay bails from them. But something as simple as caution tape will work.

I'd go to tractor supply and get the electrified cattle fencing and batteries. Also post armed guards overnight Friday.

Any ideas or suggestions for some simple, inexpensive (highly portable) way of fencing off your team bbq site? First trip to the Royal coming up. Never fenced in my space before.

What space and how big is it? Are you getting a Johnny?

If you have a Johnny, hide it in the back of your space and keep it locked. You will probably want a way to get it up front to be serviced on Sat. morning, especially if the weather is warm!

You can rent hay, and it should still be available on your add-on order sheet if I remember correctly. Some fencing stakes and caution tape that you can buy at Home Depot should do it, and wouldn't take much room to haul them up.

Work with your neighbors if you can. On Friday night one year, we had people taking a short cut when they saw a straight shot to the next row over. We got with our neighbor and moved some stuff to cut it off.

Don't leave coolers or meat prep areas near the edges of your site. Things have been known to walk off now and then when nobody is around. Secure anything of value during awards, or leave somebody behind to keep an eye on it.

With all of that said, it's not as bad as some of the horror stories you hear. Use common sense and have a great time!

I agree with Jorge. There are bad things that happen at the contest. But that is not the norm. I know first hand. Is it a great contest and if you prepare properly, you will also have a great time. Just remember it is huge and on Red Friday, it gets a little crazy.

Go and have fun. It truly is a great contest. Even if the former leaders were puds.

I make PVC free-standing frames and hang my banners up at the edge.

Unless you are around the perimeter, the things you need to worry about are people cutting through your site and people wanting to use your portajohn. If you are getting a portajohn (and you should) get a lock for it and keep it locked, and completely barricade off one side of your spot so people can't get through. Doing this has always kept people out of our spot. Construction fencing and zip ties has always worked for us. We then use hay bales and an EZ Up on the other side to further discourage people from wandering in, but open enough that we and friends can enter and exit.

Get a roll of that orange plastic temp. fencing and make some standards to hold it up.

Thanks for the great responses. I'm in Lot B Space #789. I now understand that the spaces butt up to each other except for the front or if you are on an end. Hopefully I'll be able to work with the teams around me to keep out spectators. I will use caution tape as suggested for the front. Thanks a lot once again.

So..... I have a corner spot.....guess I better order some hay bales.

Back