• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Flat top vs. Kettle top UDS

Dmars13

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a question for those that have built a few UDSs. Between keeping the original drum lid and using the kettle lid which would you recommend and why. And to keep things easier let's assume the kettle lid fits snug on the UDS.
I'm thinking the kettle lid would be better just because it gives me more space for my top grate, but are there advantages for the flat lid I'm not seeing?

I have no experience w/ a flat lid. I went w/ the Weber lid for the room and I'm glad I did.

If you have a domed Weber lid available there is no good reason NOT to use it. I have a kettle- and a double grate setup on my drum. I've used the dome lid to run 2 grates a few times. Jacking with 2 full grates on a uds can be a bit of a pain- so I don't do it often. I have my drum set up one 3 bricks with a slight cant, the "drip down" from the flat lid is not an issue.

Depends on what you want to do with your drum. I have one of each. I prefer the flat lid, But I also do pizza's on mine and the flat lid I can get a more even cook top/bottom with the flat lid. So the dome is strictly for smoking. I have 3 racks total in each. The bottom rack/grate is for a drip pan or deflector when required. 2 racks for cooking. Plenty of room even with the flat lid for doing 6 large butts 3/ea grate. I haven't had a problem with stuff dripping off the lid with my lids, either one. But I do flake off the extra when it's there.

Thanks guys, ebijack your post gives me a few more questions. I was also thinking of adding a grate for a deflector. What did you use for your deflector, how high above the charcoal basket is it, and when/how do you decide if it's necessary?

I've had condensation build up on my flat one with out the use of a water pan. For the deflector question, I used a pizza crisper pan from walmart with larger holes drilled into it. I kinda quit using it tho.

Dome or cone lid, allows you to add another grate. Plus adds a little more distance from the fire basket for all grates. Further from the heat source in the drum, the better IMO.

Here is my uds. I use a stainless steel pan for a deflector. I use it everytime I cook and I never put water in it, I just wrap it in tinfoil. My advice is find a drum that a weber lid will fit on without any modifications, to me it's worth the looking around. 22 3/4 inch diameter barrel. I put my grate for the deflector 1" above the top of my fire basket. Build one with two cooking grates that way if you need it you have it. I put my top cooking grate 2" down from the top of the barrel and the second cooking grate 6" down from the top cooking grate.

Attachments

• IMG_1255_2.jpg
    IMG_1255_2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1261.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_1260_2.jpg
    IMG_1260_2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 292
Thanks for the pics dad2jsc. I just found a drum that the weber lid fits perfect on. The problem is it has a sealed lid. I know I can rent a jigsaw from HD for $15 but is there any other way to get that thing off. Keep in mind I only have a power drill, I thought I might be able to drill holes around the outside until it comes off and if that doesn't work then go get the jigsaw?

Mine had a sealed lid too. Drill a hole in the top of the lid big enough for a metal jig saw blade to fit, then cut around the top. I used a sawzall with a metal blade. Jig saw would work but I think a sawzall works a little better.

Find some one with a plazma cutter or go to a welding shop and have them do it to get a cleaner bur free edge so you don't cut your self on the burrs IMO safe as to sorry

I use a Weber lid and the only issue I have is when I load it up w 6 Butts I have to crack the lid to keep temps up around 275F. The daisy wheel is fine on most cooks but doesnt exhaust enough for me on monster cooks. No big deal though.

My current UDS has a Weber lid but it's not a great seal. But I am currently thinking about building another UDS with a flat lid. When I originally was using a flat lid. It seemed it was easier to dial in and hold. The majority of the time I'm good with one rack.

Thanks guys, ebijack your post gives me a few more questions. I was also thinking of adding a grate for a deflector. What did you use for your deflector, how high above the charcoal basket is it, and when/how do you decide if it's necessary?
I used a 17 inch cheap pizza pan I drilled holes into. Then adjusted to try to even out the heat. It's not perfect, but works real well when needed. I use it for when I do wings and a few other things. If I'm doing greasy food like chickens , pork butts etc ( I want to keep the drippings) I use a drip pan. My basket is 3 inches off the bottom ( 4 inches on my other drum..still testing) 17 inches round ( Weber 22.5 coal grate) 8 inches high sides. Bolts are at 15 inches up from bottom. I use 6 inch carriage bolts for legs for my grates with the flat lid. 8 inches with the dome lid.

six to one, half dozen to another.

I use the Weber lids when I need extra height such as Beer butt chicken, Leg and Wing racks or using a rotisserrie.

Back