The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Handling General Discussion (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Vacuum Packing? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84264)

PCDoctor_1979 05-08-2010 06:58 PM

Vacuum Packing?

The HD was out last week inspecting my new mobile kitchen. I'll have to post some pron of it when I get a chance. The inspection was no problem, but the inspector did find my Food Saver tucked away in one of the cabinets. I got a very detailed description of the dangers of botulism in vacuum packaging. I have a list of customers that I e-mail when I've got a cooking project going on to let them know and they order brisket and pulled pork by the pound. (A full smoker is a happy smoker) The idea was to vacuum pack these orders for pick-up, but I don't think this will fly with the HD without further processing of some kind. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!:-D

Garth57 05-11-2010 02:17 PM

I was thinking of doing the same thing at the Farmers Market I'm at. Looking foward to replys.

PCDoctor_1979 05-11-2010 04:58 PM

After some further research, I found one site that described a process that involves getting the temperature of the outside of the package up to 185 degrees and checking it with an infrared thermometer. A big azz stockpot of near boiling water will do the trick, but what a pain! Anyone else been doing this?

Ford 05-17-2010 07:09 AM

I don't vacuum pack and sell food. In order to sell packaged food you need to have a lot more control around your process and a much better kitchen. I think it's USDA approved but not sure. And of course to sell packaged food you need all the appropriate labelling.

I can put pork or brisket in a steam pan and freeze for a short time and it will not lose quality. And no HD issues. You can reheat or they can reheat.

Take the food saver out of the unit and say you won't be vending food using it. What you do under the table for friends is your business.

Surprised nobody else has chimed in on the packaging and litchen rules yet.

PCDoctor_1979 05-17-2010 09:55 AM

Thanks, Ford. The Food Saver has been moved to a secure, undisclosed location. When you are using the steam pans, do you cover with foil or plastic wrap? What about using gallon Zip Lock bags once the product has been properly cooled?

Ford 05-17-2010 10:23 AM

I just buy the lids for the steam pans. You could use zip locks but even gallons are hard to get a consistent weight. I can get a pretty good 7-8 lbs in a 1/2 steam pan. Tha's close to 2 butts cooked.

And the pans fit beter in a commercail fridge or freezer than ziplocks.

PCDoctor_1979 05-17-2010 01:35 PM

Amen to the pans fitting the the fridge! Thanks again, Ford! I'll get some of the lids on my next trip for supplies.

sizzlinbonesfan 06-28-2010 02:01 PM

Good stuff to know!! Thanks!

Happy BBQ'n
Alissa
Okie from Muskogee