Brinkman Gourmet vs. Meco ?

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
forget UDS, Weber Kettle, PBC etc......I was thinking of giving a Brinkman Gourmet (sending it via Amazon ) to a total BBQ Newb Relative- in another state- for Christmas. But as we all now it needs Mods to work decent......the Meco already has intake and exhaust just needs a real thermo.......:-?

Opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M4zC01pFqA

I have considered ordering Him a Big Poppas UDS kit but I don't think ( pretty darn sure since he said no way he could burn out a drum where he lives etc. etc.) he would build one - gotta get him hooked first :biggrin1:

Given the (lousy) choice, I'd choose the Meco!

Strongly suggest (as usual) using CL and get him a used Weber something or other. Send him the coin and let him pick it up. :thumb:

How difficult will it be to get good results on one of these? How much work is your buddy likely to put into it to make it work?

What is the chance he'll give it a shot and give up because it just doesn't produce spectacular results?

What about a Weber kettle? They're very versatile and you can get great results grilling and using the indirect method. With proper technique you can smoke on one too. They're less expensive new and more available on CL.

I vote for a Weber OTS sorry:decision: I wouldn't wish any type of an ECB on a Newb they can have a fairly steep learning curve before greatness can be achieved, some loose heart and abandon the hobby.

That's a hard one without knowing the guy. I think the ECB is fun to tinker with. Just make sure he understands what he is getting into.

P.S. Be sure to send him a charcoal grate and some S hooks (easier to hold it with hooks than putting bolts in) with the cooker. That is the one immediate need to even start cooking on it.

Back