The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Bar-Be-Que Concession Trailers (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67759)

SmokyBear 08-27-2009 11:22 PM

Bar-Be-Que Concession Trailers

Hello,
I'm thinking of building a Bar-Be-Que Concession Trailer and wonder how many people here have them? How did you build them and what would be the one thing they would do over again if they were to start from the beginning again? Photo's inside and out would be great!
Thank you,
Smoky Bear

C Rocke 08-27-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokyBear (Post 1009665)
Hello,
I'm thinking of building a Bar-Be-Que Concession Trailer and wonder how many people here have them? How did you build them and what would be the one thing they would do over again if they were to start from the beginning again? Photo's inside and out would be great!
Thank you,
Smoky Bear

Start with the HD first. They can give you the standards there, requirements, and rules around operation. That will determine what's best for you.

SmokyBear 08-28-2009 04:49 AM

[quote=C Rocke;1009672]Start with the HD first. They can give you the standards there, requirements, and rules around operation. That will determine what's best for you.[/quote]
Thanks C Rocke. Yeah I could do that and have it built to what they are asking and when I'm living at a different place I should exspect the local HD bring in their view points to me? really asking if any of the membersio have them.

Thanks,
Smoky Bear

blues_n_cues 08-28-2009 06:22 AM

most things are pretty standard.
here's florida's state mobile food vendor's guidlines.
http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/fs/mobile_guide.pdf

Ford 08-28-2009 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blues_n_cues (Post 1009725)
most things are pretty standard.
here's florida's state mobile food vendor's guidlines.
http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/fs/mobile_guide.pdf

This appears to be for a unit that goes back to a commisary each night and Potentially Hazzordous Food is not prepped in the unit. I think there's another guide for the good stuff.

If you don't have the trailer yet, expect about 15K to get started. Commercial fridge is over $1k alone.

If I had to do it again I'd have a trailer where I could mount all 3 FE's plus a grill under a roof plus the 16 foot enclosed kitchen.

Here's a link to the Michigan application. It's not as strict as a number of States. http://www.accesskent.com/Health/Hea...PlanReview.pdf

Roo-B-Q'N 08-28-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokyBear (Post 1009709)
[quote=C Rocke;1009672]Start with the HD first. They can give you the standards there, requirements, and rules around operation. That will determine what's best for you.

Thanks C Rocke. Yeah I could do that and have it built to what they are asking and when I'm living at a different place I should exspect the local HD bring in their view points to me? really asking if any of the membersio have them.

Thanks,
Smoky Bear [/quote]

I had ours built AFTER talking to the HD. You could of course just build and then have to tear everything out when it doesn't pass inspection. But to each his own.

You can do a search on trailers here and get a wealth of information but it doesn't sound as though you want to do any leg work.

The Pigman 08-28-2009 08:34 AM

I am building on now in a step van 15ft by 7 ft kitchen...........Have a big bank account.

SmokyBear 08-28-2009 02:38 PM

it doesn't sound as though you want to do any leg work. WRONG

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N (Post 1009786)

Thanks,
Smoky Bear

I had ours built AFTER talking to the HD. You could of course just build and then have to tear everything out when it doesn't pass inspection. But to each his own.

You can do a search on trailers here and get a wealth of information but it doesn't sound as though you want to do any leg work.[/quote]
Roo-B-Q'N, Wow where did that come from? You wrote "it doesn't sound as though you want to do any leg work" thats wrong. I'm just asking if I build it while I live here in Florida and it is according to not only Florida's and my counties HD Spec'd and in six months I'm living in somewhere in the Southweast! My question does one State HD dictate a different setup from each another. Give me a break here, thats the reason I'm asking here before I even build it. I want to hear from other members where they put their tanks.... Front or Back? Did they make it out of wood siding or a cargo trailer. I have seen many different varieties on the Net and wanted to see what the people say here. Another thing, my writting here is a part of my LEG WORK!
Smoky Bear

stillsmokintn 08-28-2009 03:07 PM

more counter space,bigger genset,and a awning these are the things in line on my stepvan and maybe some fancy flashin lights the go to the beat of music:icon_cooland about a 20,000 pound winch for when i go into the woods i know im going to get stuck sooner or later....

smokinit 08-28-2009 03:27 PM

There are alot of pics of my rig in the roadside vending thread. I didn't build my I had it built but once you start working in you begin to see what you should have done differently. Go check out some at local fairs and see how they are set up and how they work while they are busy.

SmokyBear 08-28-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillsmokintn (Post 1010139)
more counter space,bigger genset,and a awning these are the things in line on my stepvan and maybe some fancy flashin lights the go to the beat of music:icon_cooland about a 20,000 pound winch for when i go into the woods i know im going to get stuck sooner or later....

Sounds like a plan to me. I'm thinking of making mine look like an Old West Store Front for the customers to pickup there foof along with a side window. With the tank on the backside in a sreen in area so the smoke can bring them to me. Lights would be nice too.

SmokyBear 08-28-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinit (Post 1010169)
There are alot of pics of my rig in the roadside vending thread. I didn't build my I had it built but once you start working in you begin to see what you should have done differently. Go check out some at local fairs and see how they are set up and how they work while they are busy.

Yeah Smokinit, I can do that plus there are some who sell Ribs and Chicken at many different places around here. I can ask them how they built it and what they would do all over if they had the chance. Plus let us not forget to ask tham about their dealings working with the HD.

txschutte 08-28-2009 05:45 PM

I built mine from a gutted camper. Not many creature comforts, but it's paid for. When I save enough, I will hope to pay for a nicer one with ca$h.

Bbq Bubba 08-28-2009 05:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Go to your local HD and get an application for a plan review FIRST!

I built this myself...

Jethro 08-28-2009 06:23 PM

Thats a really nice trailer you built there. What do you cook your meats on?