The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Unboxing my cold smoke generator (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150282)

Pitmasterx 12-27-2012 01:21 AM

Unboxing my cold smoke generator

Received my new toy just before christmas!

I made an unboxing video of the cold smoke generator from proQ. Hope that it will help others decide to buy or not to buy this device. A test/review video will follow.

What I am missing are some good, tested recipies for cold smoking.
I know you can smoke nuts, but for how long and which ones to smoke and which not to smoke? How long should cheese rest after smoking and how long should it be smoked?
I good salmon recipe is no problem, I already found one here.

Can anyone help me with a link to good recipies?:icon_blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byRurC6Pb7I

Trumpstylz 12-27-2012 02:47 AM

Nice, I've been wanting to get into cold smoking for a while now but I know very little about the details (other than its low temp smoke and you can do it in a cardboard box).

Have you smoked anything yet? Let us know how it turns out. The price point on that item is pretty low, so it wouldn't be a huge risk for me to pick one up.

IamMadMan 12-27-2012 07:06 AM

You can basicly smoke any type of nut that you enjoy. Just google "recipe smoked nuts" wheras you can specify your specific nut choice.

Cold smoking is also good for cheese, sausage, fish, seafood, spices, salt, and so much more. It is important to keep in mind for food safety that meats and fish are usually cured before cold smoking to prevent food borne illnesses. Cureing also changes the clolr, texture, and flavor of the food (IE Cured Pork turns to Ham only when cured and smoked).

I cold smoke my hams and sausages before into the smoker itself to complete the smoking and cooking process.

There are so many recipes and sites available there are too many to list. Your best bet is to google your specific food.

Here is a basic starter from Bradley Cold Smoking Recipes

Although I prefer to use my A-Maze-N pellet smoker for cold smoking because the Treager Pellets are available locally without shipping fees and come in many varieties.

Let us know how you like the ProQ smoker.

daninnewjersey 12-27-2012 07:07 AM

Cheese

I smoke cheese for about an hour and a half using oak. Then it gets a rest in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap for a few days. Then, take a piece out and sample it. You'll know if it needs more time.

LM600 12-27-2012 11:39 AM

I also have the Pro Q CSG and have to say I have totally destroyed it with so much use! (That's a positive...if it was cr*p I'd have binned it ages ago!)

It does produce a thin sliver of blue smoke.

I cure some pork loin roasts and then cold smoke for 5 x 12hr (or about 5 days in total). This may seem excessive, but I enjoy the very, very intense smoked back bacon taste and aroma.
The cold smoking usually occurs overnight, so I'll light it when I get in from work and remove the bacon to the fridge the next day before work and repeat.
I then rest for a day or so, partially freeze and slice.

Cheese, I just leave on until the CSG has burnt out....I wrap it in greaseproof paper and tin foil then leave in the fridge for about a week.

Smoked tomatoes are good as are home made chipotles :)

I wasn't impressed with garlic, but I reckon that was down to me being an idiot rather than the CSG.

I hope you have fun with this little bit of kit. I have found that drying the sawdust out in a low oven for an hour or so really helps with the burn and also cleaning the CSG after EVERY use, otherwise you'll get tar deposits building up blocking the O2 flow through the fine mesh.

If I can help out Mate, just give us a shout.

Cheers.

Pitmasterx 12-28-2012 01:19 AM

Oke thanks for replying! Very helpfull stuff.

Yesterday I smoked cheese, garlic, nuts and salt.
* I must say, that I peronally don't care for the smoked nuts. The smoke gives it some what of a sour after taste.
*I love the smoked salt. It's a great flavour addition to my herbs and spices collection.
*I understand that I have to rest the cheese, but right of the smoke the smoke flavour is some what over powering. Maybe I smoked it for to long.
* I think the garlic has to be smoked for a lot longer than 5 hours. I had some in France and its was great, but mine are not as heavily smoke.

Thanks for the help you guys, you gave plenty more ideas for cold smoking! I will be launching video's about it soon.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-C...4/_DSC1024.JPG

Dr_KY 12-28-2012 05:13 AM

Can't put photos up with this iPad but I to love the ProQ CSG. Along with cheese try pepper corns, cashews, spicy peanuts and pistachio .

Trumpstylz 12-28-2012 09:50 AM

what do you use as fuel? Just normal sawdust? Something special? WHere do you get it?

Dr_KY 12-29-2012 07:01 AM

I use the sawdust provided by ProQ

Phubar 12-29-2012 07:15 AM

In the Netherlands you can buy the dust at stores where you get your Phishing gear.