The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   list of must haves for a comp (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83415)

Goddahavit 04-25-2010 08:43 AM

list of must haves for a comp

I have seen the checklists, but i need to know what are must haves?

I know i need a fire extinguisher , I just read i need a wash setup? 3 tubs or something?

Where can i find out this stuff?
Thanks, Eric

Red Valley BBQ 04-25-2010 09:07 AM

The 2010 KCBS rules state:

17) The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply:
a. No use of any tobacco products while handling meat.
b. Cleanliness of the cook, assistant cooks, cooking
device(s) and the team’s assigned cooking space is
required.
c. Shirt and shoes are required to be worn.
d. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with
the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of
water). Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of
utensils.
e. First aid is not required to be provided by the contest,

except at the election of the contest organizer.

I would recommend 3 tubs for cleaning of utensils (bus tubs work well), fire extinguisher, a first aid kit, and a metal bucket to collect and hot ashes in so they can be disposed of properly.

The complete rules are on the KCBS website, but it you are not a member, you can't get to the part of the website where it is listed. PM your email if you need a copy of the rules. There is also a sheet called "Your First Cookoff" which is a wealth of information, which I could also send to you.

Goddahavit 04-25-2010 09:11 AM

Thanks, much appreciated, i'll check it out.

eric

Bayou Boogie BBQ 04-25-2010 09:23 AM

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get you one of those plastic utility sinks with the removable legs. Put a 5 gallon bucket underneath to catch the water and you have yourself a great setup to wash stuff. It always worked for me.

Ron_L 04-25-2010 10:11 AM

The rules and the cook's handbook are right here on the Brethren..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayou Boogie BBQ (Post 1262172)
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get you one of those plastic utility sinks with the removable legs. Put a 5 gallon bucket underneath to catch the water and you have yourself a great setup to wash stuff. It always worked for me.

You still need two other bins for rinse and sanitize according to the rules.

Let's see... Other essentials...
  • Tables
  • leg extenders to get one table up to counter height
  • chairs
  • ez-up or similar
  • some way to heat water (very nice for cleanup on cold days)
  • instant read thermometer
  • sharp knives
  • welding gloves for handling hot smoker parts
  • insulated food handling gloves
There is lots more :-D

nthole 04-25-2010 01:58 PM

Best bet is to look through all the checklists and see what is common across them. Some people have trailers, some have easy-ups, some have pole canopies, but in the end, we've all got a lot of the basic stuff.

Also head out to a comp with a notepad and just start writing down all the stuff you see teams using.

If you'd like our checklist you can PM me.

biggs98 04-25-2010 02:50 PM

COLD BEER!!!!!:clap2:

ShutYrMouth 04-25-2010 02:59 PM

beat me to it biggs
food just doesnt turn out correctly without some
:thumb:

2Fat 04-25-2010 04:22 PM

and you need a back-up plan for when something essential to your cooking doesn't work, breaks, etc--some redundancy is necessary!! And if you depend on electricity for your cooking bring your own--just in case!

Smoke'n Ice 04-25-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggs98 (Post 1262394)
COLD BEER!!!!!:clap2:

Now this covers a lot of territory. There is near beer (examples are Bud, Bud Lite, etc) that were once in the same area as real beer and then there is the National Beer of Texas, SHINER BOCK, the only good beer for competition:boxing:

Check on weather forecast for area and pack accordingly. Ie: Hot, Cold, Rain, Mud and, as others have said, after you do YOUR check list, do a cookoff in your back yard and add anything that you had to go back inside for and eliminate anything you did not use.

Bayou Boogie BBQ 04-25-2010 05:52 PM

"You still need two other bins for rinse and sanitize according to the rules."

I think this rule is open to interpretation. I've been to many events where most of the cooks washed their dishes at a community water hose. 3 compartment sinks are required by health departments for Vendors and caterers where I live. The Fire Marshalls almost always come by to check my extinquisher, but I've never been asked if I have 3 seperate bins by anyone. Any event organizers on here want to tell us what you require at your events, or if it's something that's checked? I don't think you have to have 3 bins if you are not going to re-use your utensils or pans at the event. But I could be wrong...wouldnt be the first time.

Coz 04-25-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayou Boogie BBQ (Post 1262526)

I think this rule is open to interpretation. I've been to many events where most of the cooks washed their dishes at a community water hose. 3 compartment sinks are required by health departments for Vendors and caterers. I've never been asked if I have 3 seperate bins. Any event organizers on here want to tell us what you require at your events, or if it's something that's checked? I'd like some clarification if possible.

Interprete it how you may if its a KCBS contest rule 17d states each contestant will provide a seperate container for washing,rinsing and sanitizing of utinsels.
And we have been checked at several contests for 3 tubs.

Bayou Boogie BBQ 04-25-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coz (Post 1262539)
Interprete it how you may if its a KCBS contest rule 17d states each contestant will provide a seperate container for washing,rinsing and sanitizing of utinsels.
And we have been checked at several contests for 3 tubs.

Nothing is that cut and dry. For instance, if I use only disposable pans and utensils, do I still need a 3 compartment sink? Or what if I don't plan on using my pans again and through them into a plastic bin to bring home and wash later? Is the 3 bins still necessary?

Ron_L 04-25-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayou Boogie BBQ (Post 1262526)

I think this rule is open to interpretation. I've been to many events where most of the cooks washed their dishes at a community water hose. 3 compartment sinks are required by health departments for Vendors and caterers where I live. The Fire Marshalls almost always come by to check my extinquisher, but I've never been asked if I have 3 seperate bins by anyone. Any event organizers on here want to tell us what you require at your events, or if it's something that's checked? I don't think you have to have 3 bins if you are not going to re-use your utensils or pans at the event. But I could be wrong...wouldnt be the first time.

I have been asked at competitions before, so why take a chance? To me, the rule is pretty clear...

Quote:

Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of
utensils.

Now if you aren't going to re-use anything and won't be washing at all, maybe you'd be OK without these. It's so easy to have three bus tubs (or similar), or a sink and two bus tubs to be sure that you are compliant.

Goddahavit 04-25-2010 06:18 PM

I picked up 3 small containers, big enough for utensils, i didn't see anything on how large the tubs needed to be.
i also picked up a small camping table on clearance as i don't want to loose any table space as it seems to be in premium.

Test cook this weekend, first time for all 4 meats to the turn in schedule.

boy time does get short in between turn ins doesn't it!
Eric.