Suggestions on attending a competition - festival

BrisketBelly

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am a KCBS judge and I have only attended events within a few hours of my home in Delaware. Each of those events had a festival of sorts attached to it and made for a nice trip. This year, I am looking to judge a contest farther away from home and will probably fly rather than drive if it is more than 8 hours away. I am seeking an event that is attached to a large festival so that I have more to do during our visit and my wife won't be bored while I am judging. In other words, we would like to make it a weekend trip where we have lots to do at the event rather than merely visiting the local area. Our preferred time is in June/July/August since my wife is a school teacher. I have browsed through the KCBS event listings, however I cannot fully gauge what else goes on there and I am asking for the brethren input to assist with a decision. Thanks in advance!

Maybe a better question is if you're going for your Master Judge designation, and if so, if you should use it to cook with a team. Could be two birds with one stone

Maybe a better question is if you're going for your Master Judge designation, and if so, if you should use it to cook with a team. Could be two birds with one stone

I am not going for a Master Judge as I only make about 4-5 competitions a year. I'd really like to cook with a team at some point to see behind the scenes and to learn the process. But for now I am just looking for a good spot for a weekend trip. With an infant in the house, we don't get out much and BBQ competitions are something we both have enjoyed.

Back