The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Wood used for comps? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79162)

Mo-Dave 02-25-2010 12:01 PM

Wood used for comps?

Anyone use different types of wood for different meats at comps, like apple for chicken and hickory for beef ect. ect.? Or do you do the whole comp with the same wood?
Dave

Brew-B-Q 02-25-2010 01:45 PM

When I was cooking on 3 WSMs I paired meats and different woods. I now cook all four meats on one cooker and usually use a fruit wood like apple or cherry mixed with something like hickory or pecan. I honestly don't know if judges can tell the difference, as long as you don't use too much or something offensive. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure people can tell the difference, just not sure how many judges can when it's presented with the rubs, sauces, etc, not to mention the amount they are eating. I would guess that the amount of smoke applied is more important than the type of wood, but I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

Divemaster 02-25-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brew-B-Q (Post 1195675)
When I was cooking on 3 WSMs I paired meats and different woods. I now cook all four meats on one cooker and usually use a fruit wood like apple or cherry mixed with something like hickory or pecan. I honestly don't know if judges can tell the difference, as long as you don't use too much or something offensive. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure people can tell the difference, just not sure how many judges can when it's presented with the rubs, sauces, etc, not to mention the amount they are eating. I would guess that the amount of smoke applied is more important than the type of wood, but I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

Different woods?!?!?

Guess that could explain why my Pine 2x4 chicken didn't do that well last year...

Sorry, going to my room now....

Lake Dogs 02-25-2010 02:16 PM

Wood at comps? I thought it was banned....

Ummmm, cooking butts & briskets on same cooker, we swap in a little oak right
after I've covered the butts with foil (shhhhhhhh, it's a secret). I dont know
if we'll continue this or not (mixing in the oak). I'll have to see if I have some good
clean white oak on hand. Dont know.

Nomanerz 02-25-2010 08:45 PM

We cook all our meats with apple and hickory...The results have been very favorable for us.

Mustang Sally 02-25-2010 09:00 PM

Depends on...hickory with a little apple usually. Last year started using pecan. I really like that.

JD McGee 02-25-2010 09:31 PM

Yep...we use 3 bullets and a cajun bandit...4 different smokewoods. :cool:

slowerlowerbbq 02-25-2010 09:42 PM

Still experimenting, but we recently switched from all hickory (and apple here and there) to all peach and were really surprised at the difference. The peach is very mild. I will try mixing 50/50 peach and hickory next as I think the 2 will compliment each other nicely.

BigBellyBBQ 02-25-2010 09:58 PM

I try to keep the hickory away from chicken and turkey..Our hickory up here is real strong..Apple or peach for the chics...hickory / pecan for pork...heavy smoke for brisket..

Crash 02-25-2010 11:07 PM

We use Apple and a bit of Cherry for Chx, Cherry for ribs and butts and Hickory for Brisket.

MattG 02-26-2010 09:52 AM

We use hickory with brisket, peach with pork, and pecan for chicken (Gives us a hotter Fire).

Candy Sue 02-26-2010 10:11 AM

I use broken or mystery unlabeled bags of pellets (cause I can't sell them) except I won't use Mesquite. Since my cooker burns 70+ pounds of pellets at a competition, I am not real picky unless it's at the beginning of the cook. I like a hickory/pecan/cherry mix for butts and brisket. Sugar maple is nice on ribs and chicken.

Mo-Dave 02-26-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Sue (Post 1196774)
I use broken or mystery unlabeled bags of pellets (cause I can't sell them) except I won't use Mesquite. Since my cooker burns 70+ pounds of pellets at a competition, I am not real picky unless it's at the beginning of the cook. I like a hickory/pecan/cherry mix for butts and brisket. Sugar maple is nice on ribs and chicken.

I am finding all of these post interesting, I almost always just use hickory but am thinking something different for at least chicken.

Candy Sue is there a good way to use pellets in a wood or charcoal smoker?
Dave

grossepellets 04-23-2010 12:17 PM

mo-dave check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0zraEAW7O0

how to use pellets for your grill

Finney 04-23-2010 01:10 PM

I use a combo of Hickory and Cherry.