• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

So, Why Do I Need a Santuko?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I want one, but will I actually use one enough to justify buying it? My understanding is that Santuko literally means "three virtues" in that it evolved as a combination of classic Japanese knife shapes so is a all-purpose knife.

As a general rule, my experience with multil-purpose anythings is that they make compromises to the originals so it is usually better to have the originals.

My primary chopping knives, which I am very happy with by the way, are an old 8" J.A. Henckels Pro S Chef and a Dexter 8" Chinese Cleaver. I also have an old, stamped Chicago Cutlery 8" Chef which I use a surprising amount since I got my EdgePro Apex sharpener and put a good a very good edge on it.

Last edited:
Do the scollaps in the knives actually stop Vegetables from sticking.
I have been pondering if I need one myself.
Cheers.
Titch

Still get some sticking. For me though it's the way the knife fits and the angle of the blade. I love it for slicing tomatoes and onions especially and can easily get a 1/16" thin slice. I also prefer it for chopping leafy fresh herbs too.

knife info

i bought a 5-6" knife at walmart and i love it very sharp..
re: sharpener i also got a "LANSKY UNIVERSAL" SHARPENER
easy to use and fun,, works very well.

I love mine. It's not an expensive one either but I find myself reaching for it more often than my chef's knife.

Which one do you have? I am seriously considering a $31 Victorinox 7" fibrox
granton Santoku as a trial run. I like my Victorinox 12" granton slicer.

Still get some sticking. For me though it's the way the knife fits and the angle of the blade. I love it for slicing tomatoes and onions especially and can easily get a 1/16" thin slice. I also prefer it for chopping leafy fresh herbs too.

+1. I use mine all the time. More than my chef. It's a henkels and wasn't very expensive. The bevel angle on the blade makes it easy to work with. I do stay away from most proteins with it.

I wasn't sure I needed one but I wanted one. The wife bought me a Wusthof about 3 or 4 years ago and I use it way more than I ever thought I would. Feels great in the hand, well balanced.

I've been thinking about getting another Santoku for myself. We have a Henckels Four Star II Santoku that my wife absolutely loves and is probably the most used knife by her.

Knives are a true weakness of mine in addition to smoked meat (they do go well together) and my favorite company just realeased to new run of their Santoku -
http://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-santoku-s35vn.html. I've been looking for a reason to cave. :biggrin1:

They are not cheap however, but I can say that after the first use, you soon forgot about the price!

I wanted to like using one, but its mostly good for chopping vegetables. It's too small for slice meat and too thin for hacking. If you want a Japanese knife type would suggest getting a deba. Deba is the infinite-toku.

I'm not sold on the idea completely yet. Recently I've been revisiting my 26 cm chef knife in general duty and gave two carving knives a run at thanksgiving.

I wanted to like using one, but its mostly good for chopping vegetables. It's too small for slice meat and too thin for hacking. If you want a Japanese knife type would suggest getting a deba. Deba is the infinite-toku.

Mine gets a LOT of use on meat, especially leftovers cold from the fridge. Again, it allows me more control I think.

I want one, but will I actually use one enough to justify buying it? My understanding is that Santuko literally means "three virtues" in that it evolved as a combination of classic Japanese knife shapes so is a all-purpose knife.

As a general rule, my experience with multil-purpose anythings is that they make compromises to the originals so it is usually better to have the originals.

My primary chopping knives, which I am very happy with by the way, are an old 8" J.A. Henckels Pro S Chef and a Dexter 8" Chinese Cleaver. I also have an old, stamped Chicago Cutlery 8" Chef which I use a surprising amount since I got my EdgePro Apex sharpener and put a good a very good edge on it.

Whoa, brother, you are getting the kitchen sink thrown at you in advice terms.
Santoku is a very useful multi purpose knife that does a lot oj jobs well.
It is like a housewife chef knife, of sorts.
You already are happy handling bigger heavier knives so I would ask if the cleaver you have is thin and great at doing sliced vegetables?
That is where the santoku replaces the usuba/ and Nakiri, both supreme vegetable tools.
That is all I see lacking that the santoku will do better.
The Debu, like all Japanese tools, has its
's specific use and is not as flexible at the Santoku.
The Japanese approach is very different, they don't generally make multi purpose tools, but have over 100 blade designs ALL for a specific set of jobs.
Santoku is multi purpose.
It will do veges great, peel, slice and dice and if you buy one with enough belly it will do meat well too.
It's thin and must not be bashed on bone.
I'd buy a kiwi Nakiri style stainless cleaver probably, and that would do all the non chef knofe jobs.
If you like the look of the santoku and want it, now you have a good idea of what you are looking at.
HTH

Last edited:
Unless you work in a sushi restaurant don't worry about the traditional use. For example, the Japanese chef knife is the gyuto but you no need to only cut beef wid it. They got the takohiki no need to only cut octopus. Go to the store and pick up a Santoku. Check the balance.

That said, in my book the best looking Japanese knife is the yanagiba but you can only do pull slice wid it.

Unless you work in a sushi restaurant don't worry about the traditional use. For example, the Japanese chef knife is the gyuto but you no need to only cut beef wid it. They got the takohiki no need to only cut octopus. Go to the store and pick up a Santoku. Check the balance.

That said, in my book the best looking Japanese knife is the yanagiba but you can only do pull slice wid it.

So if you use a debu for meats, how do you sharpen it?
It is like no other knife at the edge, do you realize that?

I agree that the Yanagiba is a beautiful thing aesthetically tho.

Back