Spicy Chicken Candy??

Peteg

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Question for all of you successful chicken cooks. Have you found that judges prefer super sweet chicken in the same way that they prefer super sweet ribs? I have had very limited success with chicken in the past, and I'm thinking that I may not have been making my chicken sweet enough. So my question is simply, where have you found success? Extremely sweet, or extremely savory? I made this chicken last night and was quite happy with it. I just gave some to one on of my friends, and he said "Man that's really sweet", as if to say too sweet. Thanks for any advice, Pete

Attachments

• 129 Chicken.jpg
    129 Chicken.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 112
The secret is the perfect combination of heat and sweet and tomato flavor. Now for 1 bite you need to have a lot of flavor in that one bite. That means a lot of flavor in the entire piece. Under normal conditions you eat the whole thing and judge the taste on the entire experience not one bite. So you probably need some honey in the glaze.

P.S. If you watched that clip with Myron and Craig do you remember Craig's reaction to the first bite of chicken? Eyes popping. That's what you want.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say we were successful but we did end up 9th in chicken for the year. Keep it in the middle and concentrate on cooking it right.

Thats exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks guys! I think I need to lower the sweetness and add a little heat..

I wouldn't say we were successful but we did end up 9th in chicken for the year. Keep it in the middle and concentrate on cooking it right.

Bingo!

Chicken was not our best category last year. Most of the time, I overcooked it. The 1 contest I worried about the chicken getting done, we took 1st.

500 degrees for 2 hours.. dip in sweet baby rays and hand it.. first place recipe right there!!

Back