The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Quick Thawing Brisket (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20589)

FatDaddy 09-22-2006 05:44 AM

Quick Thawing Brisket

Ok I want to have this thing thawed out by saturday night. I put it in the fridge wednesday night. what is the safest way for me to get it ready for the WSM It still feels rock solid frozen. and today is friday.

Qczar 09-22-2006 06:40 AM

Yeah, when I thaw in the fridge, there is a fine line when the meat starts to get soft. My guess is when the meat rises from 32º to 33º. My thermometers for both my freezers read -5º to 0º. So after a few days in the fridge, it will suddenly thaw. Tough to judge sometimes and some counter time may be in order?

djmarko 09-22-2006 06:51 AM

Depending on size put in sink, bathtub or big bucket with cold water. Change water every so often. I'm assuming it's too big for Microwave?

Roo-B-Q'N 09-22-2006 07:45 AM

I am with Rich, also open the packaging a bit to allow air exchange, or take it out completely and loosly cover with a towel. Just my 2 cents.

qman 09-22-2006 08:02 AM

Alternating between counter time and the fridge will speed up the process without over warming. If it is in cryo-vac, I would leave it sealed.

The bucket and/or bathtub soak works. For fastest thaw, put cyro-vaced brisket in a 5 gallon bucket, put the end of a hose inside the bucket, going to the bottem, and run tap water slowly and conteniously, allowing it to overflow the top. Needless to say, bucket need to be positioned where run-off will not be a problem. A couple of hours of this should get it thawed enough so you can finish in the fridge.

RichardF 09-22-2006 08:02 AM

Put it on the counter with a tray under it. It's not going to go bad, and I don't think you have to worry about it being under-cooked for health reasons.

nonthink 09-22-2006 08:36 AM

Since you don’t need it ‘till Saturday night, I would alternate between counter and frig. Then on Sat. reevaluate if you need more drastic defrosting measurers.

Bill-Chicago 09-22-2006 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardF
Put it on the counter with a tray under it. It's not going to go bad, and I don't think you have to worry about it being under-cooked for health reasons.

Agree with the above comments. I leave it on the counter for 4 hours, flipping once after 2 hours, before it goes in the fridge.

Your gonna take it to 190* anyway, so your not in danger at all

Bill-Chicago 09-22-2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonthink
Since you don’t need it ‘till Saturday night, I would alternate between counter and frig. Then on Sat. reevaluate if you need more drastic defrosting measurers.

I agree, but I think he needs to push it, just a bit, for more counter over fridge today.

If he needs it tomorrow night, then, for my own personal preference, he actually needs it late tonight to at least be thawed enough to apply a rub.

I like a full 24 hours in rub (or Dr Pepper marinade), but thats a personal preference.

BBQchef33 09-22-2006 10:00 AM

i use the cold water methood, with a slow stream running to keep the water circulating.. if its in cryovac, i keep it sealed.. kitchen sink works fine, as long as there is drain for the runoff. .

If there is time, I have also defrosted IN a marinade or brine.. like a turkey defrosting in a very weak brine... one its near comletly defrosted, i changed the brine to my normal mix.
EDIT.. I forgot to add, i do this in a closedd 5 gallon bucket... when outside temps are in the 30-40* range. Works great aroud thanksgiving.. :)

Maybe defrosting a brisket in Dr pepper marinade?? That be worth a try..

heres a little remedial reading.

cmcadams 09-22-2006 10:08 AM

I agree with Phil's method... fastest, most uniform way to thaw is to do so under cold running water.

timzcardz 09-22-2006 10:19 AM

My $0.02.

Take it out and put it on the counter.

It is frozen and condensation will form on the outside of the cryovac in the form of frost.

As long as there is frost on the outside, the meat is still at or below 32*, and there is nothing going on bad with the meat. There is no guesing about the temp. The frost is your thermometer.

When the frost melts, the outside of piece of meat is now at 33*, although the middle will still be frozen.

From here you can put it back in the fridge for the remaining time, or give it a water bath to defrost some more if you don't think that you will get the degree or three more that will be needed for a full defrost.

bbqjoe 09-22-2006 10:30 AM

Cold water method for the fastest and safest results.

nonthink 09-22-2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willkat98
I agree, but I think he needs to push it, just a bit, for more counter over fridge today.

If he needs it tomorrow night, then, for my own personal preference, he actually needs it late tonight to at least be thawed enough to apply a rub.

I like a full 24 hours in rub (or Dr Pepper marinade), but thats a personal preference.

True. I didn't think of that. In that case, I'd soak in the cold water too.

scottyd 09-22-2006 11:03 AM

cold water method, or if overnight fill a cooler with cold water and place the meat in cooler overnight, this works for me where I need it the next day.