The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brisket fail questions... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173990)

Thespanishgrill 10-26-2013 09:44 PM

Brisket fail questions...

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like the brisket won another round. Scenario was rubbed last night pulled it out this morning put it on the wsm at 250
Held a solid 250 for 9 hours. I was checking for probe tender from 185 on but the flat never got tender. Point was fine. I didn't foil until I pulled it and let it rest for an hour but I had a feeling it was a brick in the making.

Not sure if I should have foiled at 165 and went that route I was actually expecting a much better finish. It looked really nice throughout the cook so fire away cuz I'm out of thoughts.
Here is a pic while it was still on

Thespanishgrill 10-26-2013 09:45 PM

PS not sure if it matters but it was a 12.5 pound select from smart and final

BevoBurn96 10-26-2013 09:49 PM

You can always wrap it up with some broth and continue to cook it in the oven until it falls apart. If it did dry out, can be put in a crock pot with enchilada sauce and turned into some killer tamale meat or chili. The flats sometimes don't probe tender until 205 to 210.

noclss2000 10-26-2013 09:50 PM

I foil mine at 150. I haven't done a brisket that large though, just a 6lb and an 8lb.
I would imagine that would help keep some moisture in though at an earlier time.

noclss2000 10-26-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevoBurn96 (Post 2672004)
You can always wrap it up with some broth and continue to cook it in the oven until it falls apart. If it did dry out, can be put in a crock pot with enchilada sauce and turned into some killer tamale meat or chili. The flats sometimes don't probe tender until 205 to 210.

^This. cup of beef broth with a couple tablespoons worcestershire and a 1/2 stick unsalted butter.

Happy Hapgood 10-26-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thespanishgrill (Post 2672002)
PS not sure if it matters but it was a 12.5 pound select from smart and final

From my own experience after killin' many a brisket. I'll never do a select again. Choice or better for me. You say you went around 250*F? How accurate was your temp reading? Sounds undercooked my Friend.

There are folks here that can make a leather boot tender, I'm just not one of them. Don't Give Up! :thumb:

BevoBurn96 10-26-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toast (Post 2672009)
From my own experience after killin' many a brisket. I'll never do a select again. Choice or better for me. You say you went around 250*F? How accurate was your temp reading? Sounds undercooked my Friend.

There are folks here that can make a leather boot tender, I'm just not one of them. Don't Give Up! :thumb:

I'll second that. I'd always just bought whatever I could find cheap. Not anymore. I did a USDA Choice brisket the other day and put absolutely no special effort into it. It was without a doubt the best brisket I've ever smoked!

landarc 10-26-2013 10:06 PM

The grade of the meat matters, to the extent that a Choice, or Prime is easier to get tender. But, the same rules apply. You have to apply the right amount of heat, over the right amount of time, to get it tender. I think you are still over-complicating things here.

First off, don't rub the night before, there is no need, and potentially, some problems. Rub it about an hour before you start cooking. For me, this system has worked over and over with Smart & Final Select packers, usually from Excel Packing.

1. remove from cryo, wash and trim of fat.
2. go fire up cooker
3. rub the packer
4. wait for fire to get stable, this takes about an hour, it rarely takes less
5. plop the meat into the cooker, close and let it run
6. check after an hour, see where cooker is, at grate temperatures between 250°F and 300°F, I will let it run. If I am short on time, I will adjust to 300°F.
7. do not open or mess with the brisket for at least 4 hours, as long as you are under 300°F.
8. Go out and probe it, if it is tender, remove, if it is not, leave it, return in another hour to hour and a half. Never probe the point, that means nothing. Only probe the flat, at the thickest part.
9. repeat until the flat is tender. Never under 250° or over 300­° except for special situation.

Thespanishgrill 10-26-2013 10:28 PM

Thanks landarc , I am with you on most of that, at the 4 hour mark this one was only at like 155ish I should start checking that soon?
When i pulled the brickett :-) from the fridge there was some liquid in the pan and I was thinking hey that should be inside.
When you are probing do you wrap it?

Bludawg 10-26-2013 10:33 PM

Almost every brisket I cook is a select grade all the Aluminium foil in Ky and all the added liquid to a wrap or an injection wont make it tender or moist. You have to cook it right. That means PROBE TENDER in the thickest part of the Flat.
BBQ RULES for SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender in the thickest area of the flat, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

Select grade Second slice off the Falt
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSCF0087.jpg

okiej 10-26-2013 10:35 PM

The last 2 briskets I cooked were 12.5-13# also. I trimmed a lot of fat off. More than a pound probably. Smoked at 250 for right at 10 hours. I foiled at 150 and pulled at 203 in flat. I personally think you need to cook longer. I agree with the others, don't worry about the point. Probe tender in the flat, the temp could be anywhere between 190-210 IT probably. May have to overcook one to figure it out. That's how I learned.

Thespanishgrill 10-26-2013 10:39 PM

If that's the case then I would have needed to let it roll on even longer, it just felt like it was getting tougher but I'll let it roll next time and not use my digital thermometer and try and cook by feel.
Do you foil or no foil?

Thespanishgrill 10-26-2013 10:41 PM

I've got the over cooking part down :-)

landarc 10-26-2013 10:47 PM

No, if you are truly at 300°F, then check it at four hours. If you are at a grate temperature of 250°F, then check it around 7 hours. It will be that much different in amount of time. This all assumes you are not wrapping.

It likely won't be done at 7 hours, but, you will start to get a feel for what is happening.

For the record, I dislike using internal temperature or time, alone, for guidance. I tend to poke the meat with my fingers, but, that would require a lot of coaching, or lots of cooking. I feel that I can poke, or squeeze the brisket and get a good feel for where I am in a cook. But, that is ridiculous to try and teach

Bludawg 10-26-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thespanishgrill (Post 2672044)
If that's the case then I would have needed to let it roll on even longer, it just felt like it was getting tougher but I'll let it roll next time and not use my digital thermometer and try and cook by feel.
Do you foil or no foil?

Butcher paper