The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Building a UDS, how do I know if a closed drum is unlined? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156875)

Fatalis 03-23-2013 08:22 PM

Building a UDS, how do I know if a closed drum is unlined?

There is a steel shop near by that has 2 closed - unlined - food grade drums for $20 that previously had corn oil inside, he also stated there was no rust inhibitor on the inside.

How does he know this if it is closed? More importantly, how do I know this, is there some sort of mark I can check on the bottom of the drum or something?

I am trying to avoid a 4 hour drive to get a new one and a burnout as much as possible.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 03-23-2013 08:31 PM

Can you get them to open a bung and shoot a flash picture into the hole, then email it to you?

Edit: Oops, I missed the nearby part. Never mind. :redface:

SmokinFatties 03-23-2013 08:40 PM

Two drums twenty bucks. You said it was nearby take a look at them but for that deal who cares. I could deal with whatever they were for that price.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 03-23-2013 08:50 PM

Unlined- because its just too dam hard to get the inside spray painted , coated or lined unless you got some midgit elves painting crew.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 03-24-2013 03:08 AM

Where are these and do they have more?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 03-24-2013 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker (Post 2419933)
Unlined- because its just too dam hard to get the inside spray painted , coated or lined unless you got some midgit elves painting crew.

I can't tell if you are serious here, but they do make lined drums with closed heads.

Outboard Racer 03-24-2013 11:10 AM

Drum

Fatalis - Most drums that contain food oil are lined. I am not sure why these would be unlined but if they are its a good deal.

You will not find any info on the bottom of the barrel that states the info your looking for. They are on labels that contain what it is with listed ingredients etc and what its hazards are for Safety and Hazards reasons along with MSDS. This might be where he is getting his info to you.

Seems crazy but they even have to be stored away from other items as well here in Ca. I work with this stuff everyday.

Where are you located in Ca?

fantomlord 03-24-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatalis (Post 2419882)
There is a steel shop near by that has 2 closed - unlined - food grade drums for $20 that previously had corn oil inside, he also stated there was no rust inhibitor on the inside.

How does he know this if it is closed? More importantly, how do I know this, is there some sort of mark I can check on the bottom of the drum or something?

I am trying to avoid a 4 hour drive to get a new one and a burnout as much as possible.

If it's got no rust inhibitor, then I'd say it's pretty likely to be lined...only question is what the lining is.

ssbbqguy 03-24-2013 04:49 PM

Just buy a new unlined drum and forget about it.Steve.

Fatalis 03-25-2013 09:25 PM

Okay so i got the drum, its unlined but the inside just looks like pure steel...it is food grade and is it possible to tell if there is rust inhibitor or not? Because it doesn't look like anythings in it..

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 03-26-2013 12:23 AM

Sand a spot and you should be able to tell- no real change in color or appearance
I have only seen unlined closed drums out here but I've only dealt with @5 closed head drums
Food grade oil is a rust prohibitor so it makes sense they could very well be unlined

Do they have any more ? I could use another

ssbbqguy 03-26-2013 07:56 AM

Don't assume that the clear coating on a unlined drum is just food grade oil. It is not.It's like a cheap paint that should be sanded out. It's way easier than removing a lining. Should take about ten to fifteen minutes by hand. Steve.

Just BS 03-26-2013 09:15 AM

I have no inside info to offer, just thinking out loud here.... I'd imagine that any drum that contained food product would have some sort of lining unless it was stainless steel (in which case it would cost $100), because humidity alone causes those things to start getting rust in less than 5 minutes.

SmokinJohn 03-26-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatalis (Post 2419882)

I would think that a drum containing oil would not need a rust inhibitor, as the oil would displace any water that might attack the steel.

Of course, that doesn't stop the drum from having a liner, which I think it would need to have to avoid "flavoring" the oil.

But I'm really thinking that you should give me the location, and I will get them :razz:.

I love a good burnout! Two is three times the fun.

Fatalis 03-26-2013 01:45 PM

They got like 6-8 closed unlined for $20 in southern San Diego (national city) the shop is called Material Sales Inc and they are changing the name to something like "handy metal shop" I forget. It does appear they have no rust inhibitor on them, and they were all used for the same purpose.